Premed 101 Forums

Dartmouth Vs. Canada

Guest nibhoshk

Guest nibhoshk

Canada Vs. Dartnouth

Hey Everyone,

I am a Canadian Citizen (born and raised in Toronto where I attended undergrad) and have been accepted to Dartmouth Medical School.

As well, I had 5 interviews at the Canadian Schools (U of T, U of A, U of Ottawa, McMaster, Queen's) but I don't found out about these schools until May 31st.

If you were in my position, would you attend Dartmouth or attend the Canadian Schools. At present, if I were to be accepted, I prefer to Attend U of Toronto of all the Canadian Medical Schools. However, I don't know which one is better; U of Toronto or Dartmouth.

At this time, I am not sure where I want to pratise?

I thank anyone for any suppport or help they provide,

Cheers :D

Guest Jochi1543

You'll probably be in much more debt in the US. However, from what I know, you can defer your admission at medical schools in the States. When is the deadline to accept at Dartmouth? If there's no way to get them to wait until you hear from the Canadian schools, you could at least retain their offer for next year in case you happen to be rejected by all schools in Canada.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rads

Canadian schools for sure. Dartmouth isn't as highly ranked/respected as other Ontario schools.

My belief is that there is no point in going to the US unless you attend a top-5/10 school, or if you were unable to secure admissions in Canada. The financial costs are not worth it. Furthermore, practicing in the US after residency is difficult without a citizenship/green card. Most hospitals are reluctant to give you a H1 and prefer to give you a J1. A J1 visa forces you to return to Canada after training...

Archived