Premed 101 Forums

Need Advice ASAP

Guest canadian1019

Guest canadian1019

Hello,

I am a canadian planning to apply to a few american medical schools by june 1st with the following set of mcat scores: 7-physical, 8-verbal, 10-bio. I realize these are low and am planning to re-write the mcat to qualify for canadian schools but I thought I would give it a shot with some American schools in case I do worse on re-writing. I've also heard that my chances might be improved with American schools even if my scores are low as long as I apply early enough due to their rolling admissions practice. I won't have a problem qualifying with my GPA but is it worth trying with these mcat scores? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Guest Jochi1543

What's your writing sample score?

I think on average, US schools pay more attention to the MCAT than do Canadian schools. Now, some school may nevertheless take you, but it will not be a good, well-known school. Also, you have to realize that if you are invited to an interview, you will have to fly to the US, which can end up being expensive if several schools in different regions invite. Airfare, hotels, etc - no fun at all. And of course you already know that if you do get accepted, your tuition there will be way higher. Given all of this, if I were you, I would rewrite the MCAT for now and not apply to any US schools. However, if you really don't wanna waste another year and can afford the extra expenses, you can certainly try. But I wouldn't really recommend it.

Guest Scottish Chap

You'll definitely get interviews at D.O. (osteopathic) schools in the U.S. If your GPA is excellent and you've done a lot of interesting things with your time, you might get one or two interviews at M.D. (allopathic) schools in the U.S. but it'll be tough. Good luck!

Guest docbil

Echooo take a look at Osteopathic Medicine... if it fits with your view on medicine, that can be an option.

I have a thread introducing Ostopathic Medical schools just above this thread. Its a sticky.

There are also lots more of SDN

Guest canadian1019

Thanks everyone for your replies, but, I'm not at all interested in Osteopathic medicine. I have an excellent GPA and I'm sure that I can do better on the mcat, the problem has been lack of time for studying and this same problem is happening again as I am currently an MSc student. Oh well, we'll see.

Guest rads

I agree that you should gun for the MD. The DO degree will make things that much more difficult when it's time to apply for residency. And considering how much $$$ you will be spending, why go for a DO?

Your MCAT is low, low, low. You recognize this, so that's a good thing. Before applying to the US, I would retake the MCAT. You said that your GPA is good and you have a MSc (hopefully, with pubs). A good MCAT score can open the door to many amazing US schools. You can chalk your first attempt at the MCAT as a weird anomaly.

Archived