Premed 101 Forums

Penn, Yale and UofT

Guest lucky applicant

Guest lucky applicant

I've recently been accepted to UPenn and Yale, and am awaiting news from UofT. I am wondering what are peoples' thoughts about these schools. Is it worth the additional cost of studying in the States? Please respond not only with ranking, but also underlying reasoning.

My career interests include surgury, emergency medicine, international healthcare, and health care management.

My apologies if similar threads have already been posted.

Thank you,

lucky applicant

I'd go to Yale or Penn over UT anyday. But that's just me of course. Yale, as I'm sure you know have their "Yale system." If you don't want to rule out competitive specialties, Yale or Penn will give you better opportunities at matching at top places in competitive specialties in the US. UT will obviously not put you out of the running in the US but you will be at a disadvantage as compared to top US applicants (visa issues, as if you go to a US school you will already be on an F1 which can be extended for one year while you apply for an H1b). All three will give you great training, but I think the opportunity to study at either Yale or Penn would be worth the cost, especially if you're thinking of academics. If you just want to practice clinical medicine in General Surgery or even EM in Canada, I'd go to UT. But if you are sure you want a competitive specialty (like ENT, urology, optho, derm, etc.), I'd go to either Yale or Upenn, with Yale over UPenn (even though I think US News has Penn above Yale).

Guest rads

I'd agree with you about a lot of thing Moo, but I would choose UPenn over Yale! :)

Yale's no grade policy is a DISADVANTAGE to getting into the more competitive specialties with program directors often citing that there is no way to differentiate between applicants. Also, Yale is in New Haven which is scary (although philly isn't much better). If I had the choice, I'd choose Penn. But, I'm not making this decision, so ultimately research each school carefully and decide which is best for you!

The decision about whether you want to study in the US or not is a more general/important one. If you want to practice in the US, then no doubt, come to America. If you want to stay in Canada then stay there. It makes ZERO sense for you to study in the US and return to Canada (although it's probably easier to do this then vice-versa).

My experience of going to the states is that although you will get a similar educational experience, the 'extras' are vastly different. The US has so much more in terms of resources/flexibility. Want to do a year off to do research? Sure! Want funding? Here you go! I just don't see that much in Canada. So, I think the medical school experience here is richer... but more $$$. Whether that's worth it to you, is your decision!

Congrats anyway. Good luck!

Archived