Premed 101 Forums

increasing gpa's cause we're canadian??

Guest mmk

I've heard that a lot of American Schools add a certain amount on to Canadian applicants gpa because Canadian schools are harder. Is this true??

thanks

Mmk

Guest brandonite

I have never heard of that... It is harder to get a 90% in a class in Canada than it is in the US, but then again, you need a 90% in the US generally to get an A- in a class. I don't think that a lot of schools make significant alterations to the GPAs that they see. That becomes very subjective...

• 7 months later...

okay, my problem was that I was getting different information from different sites:

on the aamc website (www.aamc.org/students/amc...nbook.pdf) p.49 it gives a similar scheme to what you say, although I am not sure if university of toronto is "ff" "gg"....

Then on this other website www.caribbeanmedicine.com/ (under the GPA and MCAT section of that page) it lists a completely different conversion scheme.

Not sure which is correct.

Thanks and Happy New Year

Guest peachy

Yeah, the information provided by AMCAS is incredibly unclear for Canadian schools. For my school, I basically had no idea what things would convert to until AMCAS actually went through my application and gave me an official conversion a few weeks after it was submitted. But it was way better than I thought it would be, so it's all good.

Guest BrainDrain

If you don't know which scale to use, just use the one that gives YOU to best GPA conversion. Let AMCAS take care of the rest.

BrainDrain

Archived