Premed 101 Forums

DO Schools in the US

Guest supremetaco

Guest supremetaco

Anyone applying to DO schools. If you all are aware, DO's have all the same practicing rights as MD's and do the same residencies. I've heard that DO's are becoming more favorable to go to as well due to their additional training in Manipulative Medicine. Anyway, back to the origiinal question. Is anyone applying to DO schools in the states?

While the 'equivalency' in terms of practice and residency may be true in the states, from what I was told by a prof at Western, the DO degree is not even recognised in Canada....meaning that your chances of practicing in Canada with a DO will likely be zero. Getting a Canadian residency spot as an IMG is difficult enough for foreign trained MD's....As a DO, I don't think you would have any chance at all. Something to be aware of...before you apply. You might want to check this for sure.

There's really no difference between a DO and an MD in the US in terms of practice rights but the philosophy is vastly different. (For example, Michigan State University has both an MD and a DO school.) I believe the practice rights for DO's in canada vary from province to province. I know there is at least one DO in family practice in British Columbia, and there are several in other provinces.

moo

ubc, 2002

northwestern--feinberg med 2006

Guest Ian Wong

Here's some previous discussion regarding DO's practising in Canada. I've updated some links at the bottom of the thread, but the gist of it is that only a minority of Canadian provinces recognise DO's as being able to provide a full scope of practise (medicine +OMM), and in Ontario and Saskatchewan OMM-only.

pub125.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm21.showMessage?topicID=28.topic

Ian

UBC, Med 4

Archived