Premed 101 Forums

prerequesites

Guest MDin2006

Guest MDin2006

I was wondering if schools in the U.S. will still consider your application if you take some of the prerequesites in the year you apply. That is, does one need to complete prerequesites before applying or before matriculation?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

It probably depends on the school, so if you have some in mind I'd contact them personally. (Many of the folks with whom I've spoken in US meds admissions offices seem super-friendly and willing to help.) Saying that though, I've contacted a few schools regarding applications for this year and it seems that since the application process generally occurs earlier in the year in the US as opposed to Canada (they begin scanning applications in June) and since many schools use rolling admissions, then in some cases you may be at a disadvantage if you do not have all the pre-requisites before starting the application process.

Your safest bet though, again, is to check directly with those on your wish list.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest WesternGirl

Hi MDin2006,

As Kirsteen said, it does depend on the school. Several schools just need to course to be done before you start med school, while others (Penn State comes to mind) says it will be "beneficial" for students to take the prereqs before applying. If you do end up taking some when you are applying, make sure you list those courses under the "future courses" or "current courses" section on AMCAS. The schools definitely need to see that you are currently taking them.

Archived