Premed 101 Forums

Thank You Cards

Guest LindaMed

Guest LindaMed

Hey Everyone!

In anticipation of the big news in less than two weeks, I was wondering what the protocol is with thank you cards for references, verifiers etc. I would like to thank my references becuase they put a lot of hard work into my application, but should I also send cards to my verifiers? Although I've thanked them all verbally multiple times, I wanted to wait until I knew the outcome before sending cards. (Of course I'll send them regardless of the outcome). What about including like a gift certificate or other small token of appreciation? Good or not really?

Just wondering what people's thoughts/plans were on the issue of thanking our supporters.

Thanks!

Linda

Guest tmacgirl

Thank-you cards would be really nice considering that they all could have said no. And hey was a dollar a card when them helping you may change your life?

Guest satsumargirl

Hey,

I had given my references thank you cards and token gift (teas and stuff) after they wrote my letter. So I didn`t feel it necessary to send another card.

But I did just send a thank you email and they were all waiting to find out so were happy about the news.

I have written letters of references for students, and I did appreciate the thank you cards. It does take awhile to write a good letter (at least for me cause it is not like had been writing them for years already!). Anything beyond that I felt was unecessary. And actually, one of my old volunteers got into the program she wanted and so I was happy to have been able to help her out....hearing how excited she was to get it was frankly thanks enough! (cheesy...but true!)

Guest potential md

Hi there,

Yes, I gave thank you cards and gifts to my referees. I ended up basing the size of the gift on the relationship I have with them and the effort they went to (in one case, I kinda of make it a blended overall thank you for many things besides the reference letter). I think the amount you spend on a little gift is totally up to you and what you feel is appropriate. I approached one of my referees (prof) after 5 years of no word to him and he wrote letters for 3 schools. I gave him a nice, framed print worth about $30. Besides, if unsuccessful, I'm going to ask them all again to repeat the work they did except for even more schools. A thank you note is always appreciated. Let's hope that they did a good job for you. :> Good luck.

Guest GP2B

i sent my references thank you cards a few months ago and would recommend it... i know that they really appreciated it because the two that i see regularly still have them displayed on their office desks/bulletin boards! :)

Guest silverjelly86

I gave each of mine a thank you card (nice ones, though, not the dollar store variety!) about two weeks after I submitted my application. I think they appreciated it.

Guest Filledunord

I was short on cash, so I decided to make some cookies (from scratch, not the mix variety ;) ) and put them in decorative tins I picked up at a dollar store to present to my referees after all the applications were sent.

Cheesy, but it is essentially the er, thought that counts (I realize what a hackneyed phrase this is....)

Archived