Premed 101 Forums

US Med School

Guest CooTL

Guest CooTL

I'm currently in my 3rd year and i'm really intrested in attending a US Medical School. I have heared that Canadian students studying meds in the states can only participate in the second round of the CaRMS admissions. Is this true?

If I do go to a US school, will I have a descent chance of getting a family med residency in an URBAN area?(toronto or vancouver)

Guest Ian Wong

There was some discussion of this earlier, and we didn't arrive at a concensus. Although the CaRMS website states explicitly that only graduates of Canadian med schools can match in the first round of CaRMS, there's been anecdotal opinion to the contrary. Perhaps someone else can find that exact thread and provide a link to it on this message.

There are a limited number of Family medicine spots, and in general, those in more attractive locations generally are more competetive to enter. However, I think that a Family Medicine spot in either location should be quite attainable especially if you are a strong candidate. If I remember correctly, there were even unmatched spots in Toronto Family Med, after the first round of this year's CaRMS match.

Finally, I'm going to move this to the US schools forum where it is best suited.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived