Premed 101 Forums

US vs Canada

Guest karmapolice

Guest karmapolice

Hi everyone!

i'm planning on going to the states if I can't get into a Canadian Med School.

Are there any disadvantages if I take this route? Will I be able to practice in Canada? Will I have to do my residency in US, or are there enough spots to go around in Canada?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Pyrrolysine

Hello,

Just yesterday, I was able to look up some information on some United States medical schools. And yes, going to the U.S is a definite possibility for me too. Well, I have some bad news for you. Numerous medical schools in the U.S. give preference to their own students, students from the same state or from out of state, U.S. citizens or permanent residents. They open a very few spots for International students. Unfortunately, Canadians are considered as international students with neither US citizenship nor permanent resident status, we are still competing with possibly thousands of global international students for only 6 spots. I checked out all the University of California medical schools such as Irvine, Davis, LA and San Francisco, and they don't appear to consider international students. They said that if one is an international student, one has got to be truly at the top otherwise, do not apply at all. Yup, that's their message to us.

Some of the east coast medical schools seem not to have such restrictions and I suggest you check out U. Penn, Vermont, Northwestern and the Ivy Leagues.

Good luck to you!

• 5 weeks later...
Guest brandonite

I'm going to plug another website here - sorry Ian. ;)

Check out the Student Doctor Network - http://www.sdn.com. Do a search for Canada or Canadians in the pre-allopathic forum, and you should pull up a ton of threads, including one with a pretty completely list of all the schools in the US that will take Canadians.

I applied last year to Duke, Harvard, Yale and Stanford. I got an interview at Duke, but was ultimately rejected. ;) I'm now a Med 1 at the U of Manitoba. There are Canadians who get accepted, but it is an uphill battle, especially because most of the schools that do take Canadians are the private schools, which also happen to be the more competitive schools in the US>

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I am an M1 at Northwestern and I love it here. True, tuition is a lot more expensive than in Canada, but generations of doctors have come before us bearing this extra debt burden and most have survived (just don't be the one idiot who buys a mercedes and a condo by the lake while you are still in residency). Also, if you end up practicing in the US, you will probably end up making more money over your lifetime than if you graduate from a Canadian school, and stay in Canada, not that money is everything of course. As for going back to Canada, I believe it varies from province to province. I know of one Canadian from Northwestern who got a residency position at Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children. In addition, I know of some residencies in BC in internal med where they say they do not discriminate between grads of Canadian and US schools.

Guest BrainDrain

BrainDrain is BACK!.....not back to Canada but back to premed101:)

Moo: How's it going? Sounds like you're having a blast at NorthWestern!

Brandonite: The SDN site is actually http://www.studentdoctor.com :)

Pyrrolysine: There are way more than 6 spots for Canadians! I know at least 6 Canadians who got into top20 schools last year, all with multiple acceptances. (Moo being one of them)

As for the list of schools that interview/accept Canadians, check out this old thread

BrainDrain

U.S. outtahere.gif Canada

• 2 weeks later...
Guest laccase

Hi moo, I wonder how much did you have to put up right away upon acceptance to NW? Did you have trouble getting the money? What's your experience so far at NW? thanks and please advise.

Joe

I didn't have to put anything up front. Tuition's about 34k per year, which is a bit steep, I must admit, but again, you have to realize that most people here are paying that too. Only difference is you can't get US govt loans. The financing comes mostly from my folks (about half), and the other half from bank loans, BC govt loans, and relatives. As for the school itself, it's in a great area, in a great city. The administration really takes care of you (and for 34k they should). They just built a new hospital and they're building a new research center that should be opening up in 2005 or so.

Archived