Premed 101 Forums

I have a question about English requirement.

Guest krnboy

Guest krnboy

In Canada, English courses are not required for medical schools. However, in US, many seem to require it.

Here are my questions;

Would English OAC be sufficient for US med school requirement?

If not, how many English credits do I need to take in the university? I'm currently in University of Toronto, and many of the English courses are half semesters.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there krnboy,

For the majority of the US schools that I've encountered, you need the equivalent of one full year course in English (literature). To satisfy this English course requirement, I took UofT's old, full-year ENG120Y course, Varieties of Literature, but other first year courses such as ENG110Y (Narrative) or ENG140Y (Literature for Our Time) would be safe bets also. Essentially, most medical schools with an English course pre-requisite are looking for your ability to pass a university-level English course with essays as its principle type of evaluated work.

I have not encountered too many US schools (if any) that will accept a high school (OAC) course to satisfy their English course requirement. However, if you have your heart set on a particular US school, go to their website and take a closer look at their English course requirements, or better yet, contact their Admissions Office directly.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest thesaug

Hi krnboy,

I am pretty sure that the schools outside of Ontario require applicants to have an english course. I know for certain that UBC and UofCalgary require it, and they explicitly state that OAC is not counted.

Archived