Premed 101 Forums

how much does MCAT scores weigh?

Guest dahlia777

Guest dahlia777

Hi guys,

Need some help here. How much do US schools consider MCAT scores in evaluation?

I've just taken MCAT today, but I don't think I did that well.

In fact this is my second exam since I got 7 on VR last time, and I wanted to improve on that section. But, I don't think I did great on VR for this one either. Do they just cut you off if you don't achieve a certain score for each section?

In addition, why did AAMC decide to include the total score on the report?

Guest Mala2003

Hi Dahlia777,

My understanding is that the US schools do not have a set MCAT cut-off like the Ontario schools. They look at the "big" picture which includes your GPA, MCAT scores, personal statement, LOR etc.

However, the MSAR (you should get your hands on this book if you're really interested in applying to the US) does have the "typical average" MCAT scores for each school. You may be interested in this and it may give you a better understanding of where you're competitive at.

Guest McCarey007

Does anyone know if US medical schools look at the cumulative MCAT score (ie 31Q) or individual sections. I think I'll do well on PS and BS, well enough to pull up my embarrassingly low VR score. Thanks!

Guest coastal79

This is just what I heard from an American Doctor I met a couple of months ago. He told me that a good MCAT score along with a decent GPA, will almost guarantee you entrance in the US. When I asked him if volunteering would help me get in down there (as it definitely would in Canada....ie I lack volunteering), he said it would help but not having it isn't a big deal as long as the grades and MCAT are there. This is just one individuals opinion. All that said, he didn't mention whether a poor MCAT showing would knock one out of contention. If the rest of your application is significantly impressive to compensate for a low MCAT score, go for it. However, just surfing today I found a page of statistics, I'm pretty sure it was at aamc.org somewhere, or the amcas site, that listed average MCATs and GPAs for matriculants at American medical schools, which included the stats for Canadians. Off the top of my head, I think there were 36 Canadians (out of a total pool of 16,000 and something), and the average MCAT scores for them were 11ish for Biological and Physical, and just over 10 for Verbal.

Archived