Premed 101 Forums

GPA questions

Guest doctorNO

Guest doctorNO

I have a friend... yes, I know everyone says that... but I really do have a FRIEND who has a GPA that is under 3.0, and is very determined to become a physician. He completed his degree in Cellular/Molecular Biology. It seems pretty clear to me that he will not have any luck applying within Canada... does the same apply to the USA? I have no idea what sort of advice to offer him. Any suggestions?

I don't think he has much of a shot in the US esp. being international. Tell him to try osteopathic schools (which are functionally equivalent to MD schools in the US only). You can find out more about osteopathic schools at http://www.aoa-net.org. Or if he is willing to go outside North America, try Ross University or St. George's.

Guest doctorNO

Thanks for the help. I personally have developed an interest in optometry, and I am considering this as a future... do you think that my friend (with a GPA less than 3.0) may have any opportunity in a field such as this given the lower entrance requirements? Would you or anyone else have any idea where we may be able to find out the entrance requirements (regarding GPA) for optometry schools across the United States?

Archived