Premed 101 Forums

How much ECs is good enough?

Guest SandglassSMD

Guest SandglassSMD

Hi, this is my first time posting questions on here. I first found this board not so long ago. It's been really great for me to get a lot of information regarding med schools from this site.

I was wondering how much ECs is considered to be good enough. I haven't started doing a lot of extra-cirricular activities because I tried to make a high GPA in my 1st year and I'm going into my 2nd year this fall. I am currently volunteering about 8 hours a week for the summer only. I'm not sure if I should volunteer or continue doing some things during the coming school year. I'm afraid I won't be able to give enough time to my studies if I do other stuff. However, if I only volunteer and get a job every summer, it doesn't seem like I am gonna have enough ECs, will I? :| Do you guys have any suggestion for this? :\ Thanks!

Guest scrubbed

Hello,

It's a balance between doing well academically and purusing other activities. The first year is especially tough since you may not have a lot of guidance of how to best allocate your time.

It sounds good that you were able to do well in school this year. Having a better idea of what university level work requires, I think that this could be the year where you could branch out and do some more activities. As I became more comfortable with university, I found that I was able to do more activities while still managing to do well in school.

Try to find some activities that you enjoy doing during the school year that you feel will develop your non-academic side. There's no set limit of activities that you need to do. Just go out there and do your best and keep an open mind about your options.

Guest gloria

I would suggest the same thing. I know that as I progressed in my undergrad each year I become more involved in activities outside of academics. I would suggest doing things that you really enjoy. Think of your extracurriculars as a way to experience the things that you always wanted to do, but thought you wouldn't have the time. For instance, if you learn how to sail one summer because you always wanted to, then you will not only have an EC to put on your application, but you will have done something for yourself as well.

EC's are important for your application to meds, but they are also important for your personal growth. They let you experience what life would be like as a physician (ex. volunteering in a hospital) or doing things you love (ex. learning to sail). Doing anything outside of school will help you gain life experience, and make you a lot more interesting to talk to at your interviews. Also, doing things you really enjoy and can focus on can make up for smaller number of activities, ie. going for quality not quantity.

Guest bioboy2007

There is no such thing as 'good enough' for EC's and medical acceptance. As previous posters have mentioned do activities you enjoy, not because they will look good on your med school application.

In terms of how many EC's you should take on, this is something that is quite personal. I would suggest doing a few and seeing how you cope with academic workload, other commitments. If you feel you can take on more and you want to take on more, you can do so.

In my opinion, start with a few EC's and expand on them with time. For example, if you are part of a club, take on progressively more responsible roles and stick with the organization for a long time.

Archived