Premed 101 Forums

US timeline

Guest gonzo23

Guest gonzo23

Hey guys,

Ugh. the waiting game sucks. I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for another year of applications, and I am interested in applying to the US. Here's my dilemma:

I would be taking the Aug 2004 MCAT. I know this really hinders my timing for US applications. I would like to submit my AMCAS as early as possible, and then my secondaries as they come. But I understand that my application won't be considered until they receive my MCAT scores. When would interviews happen? I know they can happy anytime, but seeing as I'd be getting my file complete by October... can I safely assume that I wouldn't hear back until january? I'd really like to take 4 months to go do something valuable with my time aside from applications for the year.

As well, is it even worth writing the MCAT again if it'll kill my timing? I had a 29O the first time (6 in verbal) and 28Q the second (7 in verbal). Would my low verbal score weight the same as having my app. in later? Like it might be worth just applying with my current scores or writing it again and not asking them to use my new scores?

Any help from those who've tackled the US would be great!

Thanks in advance.

If the rest of your app is strong, and I mean >3.8, and >11 on the Science sections of the MCAT then I would go ahead and apply. Contrary to what a lot of people say you do not need a super high MCAT to get into a US school. I know a Canadian who got into Vanderbilt with a 6 in VR (but the rest of his app was strong), granted this was his only acceptance but it goes to show that the app process is very random.

The timing thing isn't that much of a problem. Yes, you'd be behind in this game of rolling admissions but I don't think it's that big a deal. Some will swear that by getting your apps in early you have a better chance, but this varies. I've seen people with high stats get into a lot of places by applying late and I've seen people with mediocre stats not get in anywhere who applied early. My point is, if the schools like you, they'll like you regardless of when you apply.

Guest studentz

Get your application in early. There's a difference of literally weeks at times between when your application is received and when it is "completed."

Writing in Aug. is definately not going to help, especially since some schools will have sent out acceptances to people by the time the results come back.

I guess the good news is that many of the Canadian-friendly schools do not use rolling admissions. Get everything else in early, so that when the MCATs are submitted, you have nothing to do but fill out secondaries.

Good luck (I think the AMCAS app is now open).

Archived