Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist and PFO Letters

Guest aimshigh

Guest aimshigh

It seems to be pretty quiet on the phone call front, perhaps Adele is finished making all of her calls. Bummer.:rolleyes

Does anyone know when the waitlist and PFO letters will be sent out?

Thanks!

Aims

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

The Admissions office mentioned that the acceptance packages may be mailed tomorrow, so perhaps they are hoping to send everything at once? :rolleyes

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Jazz

From reading old threads, people found out about their status by calling the office. I am not brave enough to to that though, seems better to get a PFO on a letter than over the phone.

Guest frogcanada

It's DEFINITELY better than getting that message in person. I have a rather embarrassing story about that, actually.

The last time I applied at U of C, I was soooo confident that I got in (not sure why), but I was attending U of C for my MSc at the time, and I heard that the letters were going out. So I proudly marched into Adele's office and basically said I just wanted to confirm that my "yes" letter was coming in the mail. She asked me my name and just said "I'm sorry, but no", to which I replied "WHAT? I'm at least on the waitlist!" to which she said "I'm sorry, not this year" - HOLY @#%$ I was mortified - I felt like such an idiot... needless to say, I won't be doing THAT this year! I'll just wait for my PFO/waitlist letter like a good little med applicant...

:lol

FC

Guest Jazz

Well, just called the office. All successful applicants have been notified and their packages are mailed out today. The PFOs and waitlist letters went out yesterday. Unfortunately for OOPs like myself and contrary to the rumours, not all OOPs are waitlisted. Man, I was really banking on getting waitlisted.

Guest noncestvrai

Major burn...that was a "humbling" experience to say the least...

Well, good luck, hopefully you will get waitlisted and finally accepted.

noncestvrai

Guest frogcanada

Oh, I wasn't thinking that all OOP were waitlisted, I thought all applicants period were waitlisted. That was a rumour I heard, but apparently not true...

: (

Guest frogcanada

thanks noncestvrai. I hope so too.

After this many years of school, and this many applications (and this many times being interviewed), I think I have to seriously consider giving up - I guess I just don't know what they want if they don't accept me this time!

|I

Guest Jazz

Are you from BC?

Let's just hope our mail arrives before the weekend, I really don't want to spend another weekend in doubt. I'll pray for a waitlist letter for both of us.

Guest frogcanada

Nope I'm actually from Calgary believe it or not! I'm sort of on the lower end of the acceptable marks scale, but all my other areas are pretty good - I'm one of those "older, mature" students (haha) and my interview went great, so I hoped that would work in my favour...

Oh well. I'll be passing on good vibes for both of us and everyone else who's waiting! Here's to a REALLY HIGH place on the waitlist ;)

FC

Guest Tara191

Hi everyone!

I'm an oop applicant who applied to Calgary last year as well. I was waitlisted last year and when I received my letter it said that ALL oop were waitlisted. So I guess admissions changed this policy for this year?

Guest aimshigh

Hi all,

I made the waitlist! :P Much better than last year's outcome, that's for sure! At least there's still a chance that I could be in come August!

Here's to hoping the thin white envelope will bear happy news for everyone!

Aimshigh

ps. anyone know the total # of in-province applicants waitlisted?

Guest Dafunk

Hey guys,

Got my PFO today. Oh well, guess I have to wait till next year.

Anybody else get a letter? I thought it would take more than a day to reach me but I guess not.

Dafunk

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there all,

That's a pretty quick mail service that's operating somewhere. Best of luck to those of you hoping for a good letter. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest frogcanada

I didn't know they treated OOP and IP differently with respect to the waitlist - Dafunk are you IP or OOP?

FC (still waiting for the mail...)

Guest Jazzey

Hi FC,

I called Adele. Last year, they did not go through the OOP waitlist as much as in previous years, so this year, what they did was to send out acceptances to 15 OOP students, place 30-45 on a wait list, and then the rest of the 70-80 OOP students interviewed were rejected.

Good luck to you!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

With respect to the out-of-province folks who secured an acceptance this week (sn0w0wl and Makunouchi) as well as any others who didn't mention that they are oop, are you still awaiting word from any other schools? If so, which? (If you don't mind me asking.) :rolleyes On this end, I'm very happy to have received an offer from Calgary as an oop applicant, but am still awaiting word from UBC, Ottawa and UofT.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Ticket

Hi Kirsteen,

I've secured a spot with Calgary and Dalhousie. Both of which I'm very happy about - and having a hard time deciding.:( I'm haven't heard from Ottawa, Western or Memorial. The ontario schools will be the last to hear from for me.

When do you hear from UBC?

To those people on the waitlist - I'll let you/Calgary know ASAP when I decide.:o

Guest Kirsteen

Hi Ticket,

Congratulations on two spots! So you're not an Alberta applicant, then? If not, from what province are you applying?

No-one's really sure when the UBC packages shall emerge. If I had to guess I'd say that they'll arrive next week, but alas, I'll be in the homeland then, and not here to receive it if it were to arrive. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Ticket

You're correct Kirsteen, I'm an OOP (I should have clarified that before).

I am from Newfoundland, but I have been working in Ontario for the past few years, so I applied to the schools with Ontario residency. However, since I have no ties to Ontario, as soon as I leave my parents house in NL will again become my permanent home. In fact, after applying, some of the schools chose to change my residency status to NL - it didn't affect my odds, so I didn't care.

I thought the residency status was rock solid - but I guess its all in how they want to look at it.

Confusing answer for a simple question, heh?

Archived