Premed 101 Forums

going back for a specialty

Guest wileycoyote

Guest wileycoyote

I spoke with a friend the other day (he is an MD general practitioner)

I asked him if many GPs practice for a while, then go back

to do a specialty, and he said it seems quite discouraged...

There are only a few spots in residency programs reserved for

current practicing MDs.

Is this correct? It seems, odd.

Guest Ian Wong

Moving out of the McMaster forum into the Residencies and CaRMS forum...

There are usually a few spots reserved for these physicians who retrain in a different specialty, usually referred to as "re-entry positions." They may or may not be consistently funded; for example, I know of at least two ENT programs in Canada who have a re-entry resident in their programs at this time, but in both instances there's only one in the entire program.

I worked with a Vancouver ophthalmologist who was originally a GP and then decided to quit practice and go back for his ophthalmology residency (this was several years back), and during my rural practice, similarly I met a radiologist who had worked as a GP for several years and then decided to retrain.

There's at least one person from last year's UBC class who may or may not decide to re-enter after Family Medicine. This individual thought it best to work as a GP for a few years before committing to a more specialized residency.

This is how the "old system" of the 80's and early 90's used to work. You would do a one year "rotating internship", and after this could start work as a general practicioner. After practicing for a few years, you generally had a very good idea of what your personality and career goals were, and could then find a specialty that fit you best. In the "new system", you have to find a specialty before you even graduate medical school, and this individual felt that this wouldn't be in his/her best interest. So, he/she will be doing Family medicine, working in it for a while, and then deciding whether he/she wants to opt for a different specialty later.

In general though, most residents who you'll meet are NOT re-entry residents, because there aren't that many spots reserved for this. Also, once you've gotten out and started practising, and have perhaps committed your own money towards a practise and a patient base, moving out and giving up all your independence and income to start back as a junior resident is really tough!

Ian

UBC, Med 4

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I can assure you that these people most certainly do NOT go through CaRMS. Usually (but not always), there has to be an opening in the program that they are interested in entering and through some negotiating with the residency program, an arrangement is made to accommodate the person coming in.

In terms of funding, I'm not exactly sure where it comes from, but there are multiple sources available. One of them is the military (I think). I'm not an expert, though!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest ploughboy

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

Hey,

As far as I know, anybody with post-graduate medical training (ie a "real" doctor) is not allowed to participate in the first round of CaRMS, but they can participate in the second round. Great if you want to move from complicated surgery to psychiatry, not so great if you decide to move from family med to plastics.

I think CFMS and the CMA are both lobbying to have the number of residency spots increased so that more practicing physicians can retrain, so support your local organization and make sure your voice is heard!

Practicing docs can go through second round, or they can work out a deal with a residency programme. I've heard of isolated communities paying for a doc's residency in return for him/her signing a return-of-service agreement, and as Timmy said there is something through the military as well. A recruiter came and spoke to our class late last year, and I don't remember everything that she said, but that actually sounded like a pretty sweet deal. You do your specialty residency, work in a hospital on civvie street, but the CF has the right to activate and deploy you if they need somebody with your skill set.

pb

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.4.0 (FreeBSD)

iD8DBQFEK09P/HNgbK3bC2wRAlTGAKCfmLQqD9zANlaGR/JenivRyAeVRQCgk8RX

5FFIRMym3ywLSRg0QkWRu3E=

=5P3l

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

I know a doctor who had qualified as an anesthesiologist here a number of years back and practiced as such in Toronto for a good few years. He became tired of the specialty and wished something else so he was able to make some sort of deal with the UofO to bring him into the Psychiatry program. He was credited with at least 2 years of residency, so he had to complete only 3 more to finish the Psychiatry residency.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived