Premed 101 Forums

Commuting during residency

Guest Becca

Does anyone commute during residency? What's the farthest people live from the hospital? Would a residency at McMaster while living in Toronto be possible?

Thanks!

Guest therealcrackers

I know a couple of classmates who live in Woodstock and do their residency in London. There are couples at the fellowship level where one partner is local to their program and the other takes the train in to London every Monday and goes home to Toronto every Friday.

Most people live less than 15-20 minutes from the hospital if they can find such a place and afford to live there (Toronto, Vancouver are special cases).

Doing a residency in Hamilton from Toronto is more doable than a residency in Toronto from Hamilton; it's still 45 minutes on the highway each way, but it's the 2 hours+ fighting the main stream of Toronto rush hour twice a day. If you had any home call, though, it would be a stretch when you live 45 minutes or further away.

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

The other big concern might be driving when tired. If you're chronically coming off long shifts and you are driving and have a decently long trek ahead of you then the probability of some adverse event happening is higher than if you weren't doing this. Add winter driving conditions (location-dependent) and it could be a bit more scary. (I'd thought of the option of commuting for residency too, if need be, but due to the above, decided against the idea.)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

What are the time requirements for home call, usually? Do you have to be able to arrive at the hospital within any certain amount of time? How would that work in Toronto if one lived in Richmond Hill or something like that?

Guest UWOMED2005

crackers and I also had a classmate who lived in Waterloo and commuted to London - her husband was a resident at U of T and commuted to Toronto.

4 mos of the year I commute from Calgary to Black Diamond, 1 hr SW of Calgary.

Doable, but it can be a pain in the wallet - gas!

Obviously, my first choice would be not to commute but I'm glad to hear that it's doable. I would hate to have to only apply to one school for residency due to geography...this opens up more options for me.

I guess the next question would be--what residencies were people in who did commute?

Guest therealcrackers

Mostly family. I haven't heard of anyone doing internal medicine with a significant commute, or a surgical speciality, but I admit I don't know the variety of residents in Toronto or Hamilton or Vancouver or Calgary.

Usually if you are on home call, you are expected to be within 10 minutes of the hospital. So, you can't be an hour away. If you live further than 10 minutes away, you will need to stay somewhere closer.

Guest UWOMED2005

Psych would be an excellent example of a program where most of the call is "home call."

Many urban family programs are now home call (not my site for U of C though, btw.) I've seen ortho residents do home call. And many "senior residents" (ie PGY-3, PGY-4, PGY-5) on services such as gen surg or ortho will be alllowed to do home call, as long as their is a junior resident or clerk on call.

I think "within 10 minutes" is a bit extreme. Considering how spread out hospitals are in Calgary it's impossible to live within in 10 minutes of both the PLC and Rockyview. I believe our guidelines for home call on Psych are "within 20 minutes."

Truth is, if they're letting you do home call, it's not going to be an emergency you're responding to!

But Aneliz's point is true in regards to commuting for residency from Waterloo to London or McMaster to Toronto. . . there are times you might have to figure out a closer place to stay (ie a friend's place).

UWOMEDS....do you know people who have done so? I have heard rumours that there are apartments or something along those lines in Hamilton where home-call residents who commute can stay--almost like a hotel but cheaper and only for residents. Any word on if that's the truth or not?

Thanks ....I know that some of these questions are sort of silly!

Guest therealcrackers

Often hospitals have a back-up or "swing" call room that is unassigned, for people in disciplines like psychiatry, orthopedics, or surgical subspecialties for when they know there will be a case or a patient later on and there's no point in going home.

In the interview, though, mentioning that you're planning to commute is not likely to score you many points; it might be interpreted as a sign that you want to get away as quickly as possible from your clinical duties due to your commute.

These are just preliminary thoughts....I'm just in first year now so I have another 2 before I have to start really thinking about residency. Just trying to get as much information as possible! :D

Guest UWOMED2005

My experience is mostly with family and rural family programs. They usually are well adapted to long commute associated issues as they tend to be very spread out (particularly MUN and Sudbury)

I'm not very familiar with a resident-specific experience of Southern Ontario.

Sorry. Good Luck.

Archived