Premed 101 Forums

"preparing" for July 1

Guest McMastergirl

Guest McMastergirl

Hi all,

Since this forum has been around a few years now, I assume there are some residents reading once in awhile (Carolyn? Dr Sashi?) ... my question is this - how does one "prepare" for the first day of residency? Looking back, how did you prepare, or what do you wish you did that you didn't? For others starting PGY-1 in July, what are you doing?

Yes, I'm relaxing, reading for fun, getting lots of sleep, and trying to tell myself I'm ready for this. I'm reading "Staying Human During Residency." I keep having these dreams about being on call the first day...

Guest CaesarCornelius

Reading your post makes me exctied for day 1 of residency! I know im still a few years away from that day, but it must be exciting!

Good luck

CC

• 3 weeks later...
Guest gucio93

I'm starting with gen surg - on call first day - also have all of my pockets full of pocketbooks - but I'm hyperventilating nevertheless :o;)

Guest McMastergirl

Well, I just returned from orientation day for PGY-1s in Ottawa... lucky for me I'm NOT on call July 1 (big sigh of relief)... in fact my first call day is July 5. AND it sounds like I don't have to work July 1 since it is a stat holiday and I'm not on call.

Okay, so I'm breathing a little easier now!

What pocketbooks do people find helpful? One of the new residents I met this week recommended "Medicine Current Clinical Strategies" - a maroon-coloured thin book that I hadn't heard of... anyway I bought it yesterday...it has admission orders for every diagnosis you can think of, plus ACLS algorithms.

Good luck Gucio93, I'll be thinking of you July 1st!!!

McM girl

Guest Ian Wong

I personally think that "Pocket Medicine" is the greatest Internal Medicine pocketbook on this planet. ISBN: 0781716497. I love this thing.

It's a book compiled by the housestaff at Massachussetts General Hospital, arguably the top Harvard-affliated hospital in Boston. It's an extremely stripped down book; the text is all in point form in tiny font, but it's packed with tons of information on diseases in each system, and how to diagnose and treat them. Many/most of the UBC internal medicine residents I worked with use this book over others like Ferri or the Washington Manual. It's small enough to be extremely portable; it's about half the thickness of the above two books.

Here's a listing of it on Amazon.com, including a number of reviews:

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0781716497/qid=1088197120/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/002-1119379-5747253?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I also plan on carrying a Tarascon's, Sanford's, Maxwell's, and maybe my old copy of On Call: Principles and Protocols (by Marshall and Ruedy).

Ian

• 1 year later...

Archived