Premed 101 Forums

Resident salaries in Ontario/BC vs. the rest of the country

Guest shkelo

Guest shkelo

Did you know that starting resident salaries (PGY-1) in Ontario as of April 2004 will be $44,230/yr? I find it interesting that B.C. ($43,221/yr) and Ontario are leading the pack in resident salaries. The average salaries for all other provinces is ~$36,500 ($34,972 Sask - $37,380 NFLD).

That's a 20% difference in salary!! You'd think Alberta would be up there as well. I'm surprised that residents from other provinces aren't beating down the doors of their union representatives demanding to be paid on par with their counterparts in B.C./Ont.

Just thought you should know.

Check it out for yourselves:

www.carms.ca/procedure/salaries.htm

and

www.pairo.org/whatsnew/se...lights.htm

Guest Namgalsip

Shkelo,

Although I agree with what you said, I think you also need to consider the cost of living in these provinces. The cost of living in Ontario and BC is much higher than in other provinces.

Nams

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah, Ontario resident salaries are based on the estimated cost of living for Toronto. That's a sweet deal for residents living in Ontario cities where the average person can actually pay rent AND eat in the same month.

The same probably goes for BC and Vancouver, hence it being the second highest.

Apparently Alberta residents are currently negotiating their salaries right now. They are hoping to be on par with Ontario after their negotiations.

I would dispute the cost of living in Alberta being low. In the last couple of years rent/prices of houses have escalated, and the first thing I noticed when I moved here from Ontario was the ridiculous cost of groceries. As well, with the deregulation of gas prices, heating costs have also skyrocketed.... Considering that 30/50 family med positions were left empty this year (this fact stood out in my head, I don't know about other areas), hopefully a raise in salary will attract residents, or at least keep them here.

Guest shkelo

Namgalsip, you raise a valid point, but a 20% difference in salary seems a little out of wack with the national average. Keep in mind that Ontario's salaries were under $40,000 not even 3 years ago. The salary gap has widened in the last few years. I'm suggesting that perhaps all residents in Canada are underpayed and Ontario and BC are among the first provinces to recognize this. I guess it helps to have the largest cities in Canada in your province as leverage for salary negotiations.

Guest jmh2005

I know that Albertans pay GST, but there still is not a provincial sales tax, where Ontarians pay 8% prov tax + the 7% GST...am I wrong on this?

Guest kosmo14

The residents in Sask. are currently in negotiation to bring us somewhat close to the other provinces. They have taken out ads in the newspapers to gain support. They have talked about job action.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived