Premed 101 Forums

PDA for medical students?

Guest TKP 123

Guest TKP 123

Hi,

I never have experience with PDA before, and I want to buy one for medical school. Could anyone recommend any good models/ softwares?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Guest wylie348

If you are a U of Calgary student you will get one, probably a Palm TX. I think the TX is probably the best one at this particular point - in my opinion only though.

It has decent screen and memory, with built-in wifi.

Guest jaegwon

Yah, I agree about the T|X. I'm happy with mine thus far. In my opinion, the wi-fi is well worth having.

If you want to save a bit of money, you can get a refurbished one on e-bay for ~$250. I think they retail for about $399.

Guest quebecboy

The TX is very nice! My girlfriend owns one, it's nice and black, 128 MB memory, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc. I own a Lifedrive, which for now I'm pretty satisfied with, although it's heavier, has shorter battery life¸, slower and a little less stable than the TX (because of the hard disk). The LifeDrive allows you to add tons of pictures, mp3s, videos,... to your palm, but you can't use the 4Gb hard drive to add programs (which often must be installed on the memory, in which case the LifeDrive only has 64Mb). 2 weeks ago I bought a Bluetooth GPS receiver (100$ on eBay) and with the TomTom software, I can use my PDA as a navigation system, which is really nice!

Guest Kenola

I have a Palm TX which works great!

My desktop PC has an analog to digital video converter(ATI All in Wonder) with coax input...so I can record any TV programs and put 'em on the TX....great for vegging out in the library at school, while on the bus, etc....

I also have Lexi-Drugs and 5 Minute Clinical Consult on my palm, which are great for quick lookups!!

Kenola

Guest rubberoduck

is palm OS better than the windows version? I read somewhere that people who have the Dell Axim also enjoy theirs. I think palm OS requires very little memory compared to the PC OS, because I have an ancient Palm IIIc that I treasure and it can run many useful programs with only 8MB memory. How will the platform affect what software you can use from CMA? Most websites give both versions, but I haven't registered for CMA so I have no idea.

Guest peachy
is palm OS better than the windows version?
These days, most software is available for both platforms. My impression, having owned both Palm and Windows PDA's, is that the Palm OS is much easier to learn and to use initially, but that the Windows is much more powerful. I much prefer my Axim to my old Palm. Pretty much everybody prefers whatever they own, I think. :P

Guest geekpunk

Is a PDA all that useful for pre-clerkship? I'll just be starting med school in August and just got a laptop, so I wasn't even thinking about getting a PDA... until a friend of mine (who will also just be starting med school) bought one recently.

I'll be starting at UofT... aka peachy, I'm expecting a fairly detailed, accurate response on why or why not I should buy a PDA now or save it until clerkship :P

Guest rubberoduck

I've owned a palm since highschool, and found it really useful. it's much cheaper than a laptop, and with a portable keyboard it works just as well for taking notes, looking up vocabs and stuff. I'm ready to move onto a PC-version PDA.

Peachy, since you owned a palm previously, how does the Axim compare to the palm (which version was it?). I'm pretty happy with Palm OS so far, but I'm also getting a keyboard, so I'd like something that is compatible with a reasonably priced portable keyboard.

Guest scrubbed

Hey there,

I'll happily allow peachy to expand on this, but my take is that unless you plan to use it for other purposes, such as scheduling, you would probably be best to hold off until clerkship.

From what I understand, U of T's clerkship PDA program requires a Palm OS, so keep that in mind.

I had one this year, and with the free programs (Epocrates and Diagnosaurus) that I had, it was useful to look up stuff, such as drugs or differential diagnoses, during seminars, PBL, and clinical skills. Our lecture hall has wireless access, so you could use it to check email as well, though the computer lab is quite close by.

Last year, at least, in our orientation package we had a certificate through the CMA for the free one-year use of PEPID Clinical Rotations Companion (CRC), but, alas, I failed to renew mine in time.

Guest UWOMED2005

Save buying a PDA until clerkship. They'll be better and cheaper 2 yrs from now than now, and you'll probably just end up wanting to replace it.

Guest peachy
Save buying a PDA until clerkship. They'll be better and cheaper 2 yrs from now than now, and you'll probably just end up wanting to replace it.
I agree that you don't need a PDA for medical stuff for preclerkship. But I like having one anyways, I use it primarily as an organizer (calendar, to-do list, etc) as well as for fun stuff (mp3's, movies, games, etc). Hopefully by the time I get to clerkship U of T won't be using Palm-only software...

Guest summervirus

While I agree that PDA's are a great asset and that tons of students use them, I've never really used mine very much. I got one as a gift and used it quite diligently during my first rotation but haven't really touched it since. It's just sat in my drawer. I think I'm just old fashioned but I enjoy looking things up in a book more.

Guest rubberoduck

I'm going to Mac, so I'm not sure if they require palm OS. I agree that it's best to hold off until clerkship, the price might not change much in a year. I'm asking this because a friend of mine wants to give me a PDA as a present. He initially suggested a Blackberry, but then I asked someone who has it and found that it's not really that useful except for checking emails. I read that CMA has a lot of good deals on computers, so maybe I should just wait until orientation week and join the CMA before I choose the PDA.

On that note, if I have to get a PDA, is Palm better than PC?

Guest UWOMED2005

Excellent point on the Blackberries. . . unless something has changed and they offer Palm OS or Windows CE, they're not useful for medical software.

Guest scrubbed

Hello rod,

If you'd like to integrate a PDA (with data capabilities like the BlackBerry) with a phone, a popular option is the Palm Treo.

As for CMA specific deals, with a three year activation with Bell, they were cutting an additional $100 off the price in addition to the price drop you would normally get going with a three-year rate plan, making it $189.

There are also PocketPC based smartphones as well that do the same thing.

Guest TKP 123

Hi Scrubbed,

I just got a pocket PC. Do you suggest any more free medical softwares for pocket PC? The ones you mentioned a few posts before are good!

Thanks a lot.

Guest blinknoodle

Hey there,

I found that McMaster has a very comprehensive list of medical software for PDAs.

hsl.mcmaster.ca/resources...ources.htm

I have an Axim x51v and I really like InfoRetriever with the 5 Minute Clinical Consult (you may have access to it through your university). I also like Mosby's Drug Consult which I got through MD Consult through the CMA. I am also looking into getting Uptodate, which is only currently available for PocketPCs and not Palms (I imagine Palms will become compatible soon enough though).

Guest peachy
looks like there's more software for Palm OS than PC.. do you find that having a PC hinders your choice of software?
Historically that was true, but today I think that there's pretty much as good a selection for either device. Imho, the Windows market is growing faster than Palm.

Guest scrubbed

Hi there,

My take would be not really. Most, if not all, of the more recent and comprehensive programs are available for both systems.

As the Palm OS was developed first and seems to be easier to make programs for, there are more programs for the Palm OS available. Many of these programs are small and supplemental in nature.

Archived