Premed 101 Forums

interview wait list

Guest governorgeneral

Guest governorgeneral

So I open up my mailbox this past Monday (I'm studying at McGill) and I get a big, relatively thick white envelope from Mac. Good news, right? That's what I thought...

"Your application for the McMaster Undergraduate Medical Programme has been assessed and we regret to inform you that you have not been selected for an interview. However, your name has been placed on the interview wait list."

They don't say what my ranking is on the letter. Any idea of how many of these wait-list letters go out? Does the fact that I'm not from Ontario matter? Do they actually call people from the wait-list? Help!

Guest Carolyn

A friend in my class (current 2nd year med student) was on the wait list for an interview and then got in... there is hope - I just know that she had to be ready to take a phone call at all times so that they could fill the spot so she called regularly and gave them a cell phone number. Good luck...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest governorgeneral

Well, the deadline for applicants to confirm their interviews was last Friday the 15th... no call if a space opened up today. Anyone else in the same boat? Any idea how many of the interview wait list letters went out?

Guest kkastelic

Hi All!

I was accepted for an interview at McMaster but Friday I turned it down. So there is one spot more open for those of you waiting. I decided that for me right now (28 and getting married in a month) that moving back to Alberta and buying a home and starting my own private practice in psychology is a better decision than moving to Hamilton. I just decided that the sacrifices required and the postponement of living life for 3-8 years + (i have done enough of that with going to graduate school) was not something I wanted to do personally or to my new family. Mind you, the debt is the most convincing piece for me as I am well on the way to early retirement and would like to keep it that way. I work with too many doctors who live at the hospital and can't afford to retire in their 70s. Gosh. I am glad that I got an interview spot and who knows, I may reapply in the next few years, but I am glad I took the time to really consider the work and the lifestyle and decide for me (and my new family) it doesn't fit. So, Best of luck for those on the waiting list! I hope that someone who is committed to life as a doctor will get my spot. And for those who don't get a spot, I can testify that life is good too!

Guest Trixter

Hey there

I was wondering where you did your psych degree was it a doctorate, Im thinking about going into clinical psych. but I was wondering if you could tell me how you find the work. Have you been working for awhile or are you a recent grad? If you have been working, what are the pros and cons.

Finally is it really hard to get into?

I wish you the best of luck on this journey called life!!!!

trixter

Guest kkastelic

Hi

Psychology, the science and practice of it, is a fasinating field for sure. I like the major flixibility...for example you can do clinical practice with almost any patient population or research or neuropsych assessments etc or a combination. I like the freedom and independence of the field as well as its varitey. It is true that you must have at least a master's degree to have the opportunities open up for you though and in some provinces a PhD or PsyD. Due to cutbacks hospital jobs are fewer than they were (although that is where I work) and more professionals are in the private sector. But working as your own boss is attractive too. I have collegues who want to open a group practice so i am excited about that. I think there is competition in the field sure but that makes sense considering we are in business too. Often whether its medicine or psychology as students we forget that our fields are businesses too and you learn more about that on your feet in your first job than you do in the classroom. So, if you like psychology pick up some courses to see what you think (knowing that pschology is both clinical and science) so take both to see what you think and then ask others in the field what they think. Good luck either way.

Hello,

This message is for all of you interview waitlisters. I think we are coming to the end of our waiting period and I have not heard anything. I was wondering if anybody else was called? I was also wondering if anybody on the waitlist has been regularly calling to see if a position opens up? If so, what have they been saying?

Thanks,

Amy

PS: This is a great forum.

Guest governorgeneral

Hey Amy,

Haven't heard from them either. I don't know if they actually called anyone... in fact, you're the only other waitlister I've heard of. I haven't been calling them at all, and I wouldn't know what to say if I did. I'm guessing they wouldn't be able to tell you anything anyway except to repeat they might call at any time up to 24 hours before the next interview.

Hope it works out, good luck with everything.

Guest governorgeneral

well, 4.30pm came and went... no call. (hope it wasn't because i was in an elevator the exact same time they called and my cell wouldn't pick up...) so that's that, guess i'll find out my percentile ranking soon.

anyway, good luck to everyone this weekend.

• 1 month later...
Guest stargirl

I didn't even know there was such a thing as an interview 'wait list'.

Applied to Mac last year and received an interview but wasn't accepted...my non-academic profile ranked in the 80th percentile last year...this year, pretty much the same profile ranked in the 30th percentile...so no interview for me...they tried to tell me that the whole bio assessment process is NOT SUBJECTIVE - right!!!

Archived