Premed 101 Forums

Doing a PhD

Guest Saberial

Guest Saberial

Hi there,

Are faculty usually supportive of people who decide to pursue sometime during the MD program who had not started out as MD/PhD students?

Thanks!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi,

Generally, if you decide to pursue a PhD within the MD program, many programs may not have a problem with it. (Even moreso if it is within your pre-clinical years.)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest peachy

I really have no idea what you are asking. :)

At U of T, at least, I don't think there is anybody who has done a PhD during medical school who is not in the MD/PhD program. You can join the MD/PhD program during your first year of medical school, though.

Guest blinknoodle

At UWO, you can also join the MD/PhD program after first year, however, you need to apply to the program just like incoming MD/PhD students.

There may be other routes to get a PhD outside the MD/PhD program. One member of the class of 2006 actually completed a PhD at Oxford in the middle of his MD (not through any MD/PhD program).

Guest aneliz

The member of my class that did his PhD at Oxford during meds was a part of the MD-PhD program as far as I know... I think he started medicine with the class of 2003 or 2004... He just chose not to do his PhD at UWO...

Archived