Premed 101 Forums

computer game for doctors?

Guest medex7

Hey

This may seem a bit strange...but does anyone know of a computer game that takes into account diagnosis and treatment?? I know there are some programs online that focuses on guessing the differential diagnosis....

What is the best "play doctor game" out there?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

There are a number of multiple choice question-type games available for Palms that are designed for those wanting to quiz themselves on medical knowledge. I snagged a few for my palm a number of months ago. QuizApp is the name of the company who distributes them. They sell their applications in modules, so you can purchase whichever modules you fancy. They have modules on many topics: pathology, internal medicine, peds, anatomy, obs/gyne, etc. I purchased one of their neonatology modules, for example, and there was somewhere between 100-300 questions in this area covering all aspects of clinical care: presenting symptoms, investigations, diagnoses.

They're quite handy things to have on the Palm while standing in line at the driver's licensing office, for example. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest marbledust

My geekiness unveiled:

There are a number of "ER" type games out there--at least one of which is based on the show and the real characters appear in the game, praising you when you are doing well, yelling at you when you screw up lol. I have 2 others that I think are better than the "ER" game. There may be more, as these types of simulation games were quite popular about 6 years ago when the "Sims" thing first took off.

I don't know if you can buy them now, as mine are several years old. One place to check is the $9.99 games section at places like Walmart and Futureshop, which is where I got two of mine. I believe the "ER" one is just called "ER"; the other ones are called "Emergency Room: Life or Death" and, ta-da, it even has a sequel "Emergency Room: Disaster Strikes." You might be able to get them from Ebay or Amazon. Both allow you to diagnose and treat and are very good. If you were an Emerg keener, you'd be set :)

For some totally silly fun there is also "Theme Hospital" which is a cartoonish hospital simulation. You start of by building the hospital and work up from there--everything from training your doctors (some of whom are not very bright), handling epidemics of the "squints", and deciding which machines to pur reseach into. It's a riot!! Not very educational, though. This is another game that frequently shows up in bargin bins.

I like them all :lol

Guest UWOMED2005

My favourite game is "NHL 2006."

It's never helped me with medicine but at least when I play Canada never loses in the quarter finals. ;)

Guest UTMed07
...but at least when I play Canada never loses in the quarter finals.
:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Perhaps they should have recruited you for team Canada...

Guest leviathan

I imagine that ER game and others for the public don't actually educate you on anything or require any medical knowledge to play, though I've never tried them.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey

but at least when I play Canada never loses in the quarter finals.

Yeah, I'd also be willing to bet that the Senators never lose to the Leafs in the playoffs, either! :lol

Timmy

Guest marbledust
I imagine that ER game and others for the public don't actually educate you on anything or require any medical knowledge to play, though I've never tried them.

The Emergency Room series is surprisingly difficult and medical knowledge helps. The ER one is easier and more focused on entertainment--I mean it does have a gorgeous version of Dr. Carter in it! :)

Peachy have you tried that Nintendo one? I have developed a relatively recent, and mysterious, interest in Japanese books and video games. I am intrigued by the link...

• 3 months later...
Guest wylie348

Hi Kirsteen. I have been using Palms for several years now, and am very interested in any type of software that is medical related, including suggestions regarding Harrison's or better alternatives?

I will be there for O-Week (Class of 2009), but if you can email me with some sites, or possibly post a list of sites that would be great! Thanks for any help...

:rollin

Archived