Premed 101 Forums

University of Montreal - Internal Medicine

Guest UofMedMed

Guest UofMedMed

Hi

I heard that University of Montreal recently lost their accreditation. What exactly does that mean for the program and the residents who are going through it? Can they still graduate? Would you rank this program for next year?

Thanks

Mike

Guest medicator007

I don't know whether or not this is true as this is the first I have heard about it. That being said, it wouldn't come as all that big a surprise to me. I have heard that the U de M Internal Medicine program was one of the weaker ones in the province if not the country. It has been plagued by lack of solid structure and while I want considering my CaRMS applications in Internal Medicine I had one attending who graduated from their program flat out tell me to avoid it like the plague. While some of my colleagues did apply to U de M IM not a single one ended up matching there and I know that many did not even rank it. The program has not filled up for a while now and thus ends up getting many residents who did not have IM as a first choice and thus may not be as happy with it.

As I said, all of my information is second hand, but if this is true I wouldn't be overly surprised. If anything though, i'd imagine they would get placed on probation first (don't think they were on it yet) before they outright strip their accreditation. I'd be curious to have this information confirmed.

Medicator

Guest cutieyellow

Never heard of this... It would be quite surprising that this information was true and yet, none of us are aware. It would definitely have caused a stir in our milieux.

CY

• 2 weeks later...
Guest medicator007

I now have independent confirmation from a colleague.. U de M Internal Medicine program was in fact placed on 2 year PROBATION based on "More than one" deficiency noted by the college.

Medicator

Archived