Premed 101 Forums

Volunteer Positions in the Montreal area

Guest Gavanshir

Guest Gavanshir

Hello everyone!

I'm currently a first year undergrad here in Montreal and I'm constantly looking for volunteer/leadership positions. I'm wondering if anyone is willing to provide some guidance regarding mtl volunteer positions.

I'm currently a volunteer at the Montreal General and I know of the hospital volunteering positions available between the 3-4 mtl hospitals, I do plan to maintain such a position throughout my undergrad years.

I've also been looking for EMT positions but I wasn't very successful in finding one. Except recently I came across SJA and I'm looking into that right now.

I'm also looking for a lab position for the summer or perhaps part time through the year..what I plan to do is to simply email the professeurs who are looking for PHD students and offer my volunteer services in their labs..

Finally, I am aware that to find such positions one must be proactive and energetic and that perhaps its a personal matter? I just throught it would be great if I could get some advice from the board. Thanks for any help and advice.

Guest cutieyellow

I recommend applying for an NSERC summer research grant in order to do research in the lab. Teachers don't always take students in just like that, even if it's for free. Also depends what field of studies you're currently in.

CY

Guest medicator007

Can't help you with research positions....

BUT... as a long time volunteer paramedic and senior officer with SJA in Montreal I may be able to assist you in this regard should you have any questions or problems.

Feel free to email me.

Medicator

Guest Gavanshir

Thanks for the replies!

Cutieyellow, the NSERC grant was a great headsup since I hadn't heard about it. Its still too early for me to look into it although I did read all the info on their website. By the way I'm in Cell Biology.

And Medicator again thanks for offering your help. I'm in my first semester right now so I still have a bit before I fully adjust to university's rhythm so I'd only consider applying for SJA in the next term. I'll get in touch with you if I do have any questions! Thanks.

Guest McGillMedWannabe

I'm not yet a med student but I'm hoping to be one next September, so maybe i can give some advice.

For NSERC grants, they aren't that difficult to obtain if you have the right grades (around a 3.7, maybe a bit higher depending on which department you apply to) but often you will have difficulty finding professors willing to take first year students in their labs, since oftenthese students haven't had much experience with lab work and the prof willhave to put a lot of work into training you. Also, it's tricky finding a prof to apply with for an NSERC since that prof must have NSERC funding and there aren't that many bio and health science labs with NSERC funding (as opposed to chem, for example). I know of a few in micro and immunology but you'd have to ask around for whicih profs are NSERC funded in cell biology. Things will get much easier in the summer after the U2 year. I suggest you look into an honors program since there is a research component. You can also start working in that lab the summer before you start your honors project.

Email a few professors about lab jobs. I was lucky that I found one with an NSERC grant at the Institute of Parasitology (there are a couple of professors there with NSERC grants, so you could look into that, although it if you don't live in the West Island, it can be a bit inconvenient).

Archived