Premed 101 Forums

Keeping up with volunteering

Guest leviathan

Guest leviathan

Hey all,

I was wondering what your opinions were on whether or not the average med student could keep their volunteer positions after starting in med school? I'm pretty involved in St. John Ambulance both in teaching and public duties, and I'm wondering whether it would be feasible to keep that up if I'm doing medicine.

Cheers.

Guest medicator007

Absolutely....

I'm in my 4th year of medical school at McGill and also happen to be the Regional Training Officer for SJA in Montreal. It certainly is doable, it just is a matter of proper time management and realizing one's own limitations and availabilities. I also have a few other volunteer associations that I have kepy up during medical school and makes my CaRMS application longer :lol

Cheers,

Medicator

Guest leviathan

Ahhh yes, I thought you would respond Medicator! Thanks for the advice. I see so many people in my division quit after they've been accepted into med school because they "dont have enough time anymore" so it made me wonder.

Guest ploughboy

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

Hey leviathan,

I fully intend to transfer to 1 Division here in London and continue volunteering with SJA. I just haven't gotten my lazy bum down to St John House to start the process, although in my defense I've been occupied with little things like unpacking, painting etc. Once I get that settled, I think I'll have sufficient time to do some vounteering, at least in the pre-clinical years. My school is pass/fail, so I'm all about "six-oh and go". I've heard from upper year students that the best use of my time will be to do lots of shadowing and read around the cases that I see, rather than sit in a lecture hall all day. Since my schedule is/will be flexible, I figure I should be able to continue with one of the things that got me interested in meds in the first place.

Good luck with your applications etc!

pb

PS to medicator - the Sens are a much better team than the Habs...

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (FreeBSD)

iD8DBQFDQcN7/HNgbK3bC2wRAm+dAJ9DsxdqUySLndLEZjDRgGZr2VQh2ACeLuE0

ff52wZT/1hI6lgKogHS2yqo=

=7AKm

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Guest medicator007

I'm not even going to get going on the sens vs. habs bit.... i know full well what it is like to be a fan of a team and it makes you blind to all other factors.

You like the sens, I like the habs.... that is all.

Course I could point out the number of cups the habs have won since I've been alive and compare it to the number of cups the sens have won in ur lifetime, but that would just be cruel. ;)

Cheers,

Medicator

Guest clinicalchief

Started Med1 in Aug and I am working ~8 hr/wk and still volunteering with SJA brigade (and have been for ~4 yr). We have two very dedicated medical people in our division - the divisional training officer is a Med4 and out divisional medical officer is a PGY-1. Not easy, but definitely do-able.

cc

Guest leviathan

Niiice nice, good to hear from some fellow SJAers! I'm the assistant DTO for my division and I love teaching...don't want to give that up if I'm in meds, especially since I'll have that much more knowledge to bring to the plate. And I'm partial to both sens and habs, but I'll always support my home team.

Guest leviathan

Actually, here's a better question for all of you:

How many hours/week do you spend in lectures, studying, and all of that combined?

I'm thinking if right now I'm able to handle working part-time, volunteering with SJA, full time school, and intramural sports, I could probably give one or two of those things up to fit the extra amount of work from med school over undergraduate school...but I just have no idea.

here's a typical schedule for 1st year at UBC.

Monday: 8-12. PM: independent study.

Tuesday: 8-5 (sometimes we start at 9. May end at 3pm depending upon your group)

WEd: 8-4

Thursday 9-5 (to 3pm if your group stayed till 5 on Tuesday)

Friday: 8-5.

Everyday: 1 hour lunch. Other than that, you're either in class/lecture or tutorial or lab.

Time spent studying: it depends on your study habit. Generally, i spent 1 hour per day doing PBL research and 1-2 hours studying. My weekend: usually 1 day working and 1 day volunteering.

Lots of my classmates spent their extra time playing intramural sports/yoga/salsa and lately...hockey cheering. Me: wasting time watching House and ER and dubbed Chinese kung fu movies/ Iron chef!!!

tea.

:b

Archived