Premed 101 Forums

Chances at queens

Guest Liana

Using the same stats, any interviewed applicant has a 35.5% chance of getting accepted, and a 37.9% chance of getting on the waitlist, meaning you have a 73.4% chance of receiving something other than a rejection. If you are waitlisted, however, you will only have a 36.6% chance of being accepted from that waitlist, assuming Worried's estimated waiting list length holds true.

However, those stats are never totally accurate for any one individual. If you're a highly articulate, well-rounded (ie, in terms of your activities) and strongly opinioned individual, your chances will be higher. If you had a hard time finding the right words, could only answer what might be assumed to be a standard answer, felt the need to apologize for your lack of activities, or are a downright unsociable person, then your chances would be lowered. I think it's fair to assume that there were at least a few people interviewed who were more well suited for Queen's than we were, and just as many who were less suited. Assuming we're all somewhere around the middle, I think that luck really does come into play at this point; luck that your evaluators, regardless of whether you "clicked" or not (because a lot of evaluators may not click with others, but still tend to hold a lot of applicants in high regard) are generous in their evaluation of you, luck that any mistakes you made during your interview were not important to the interviewers, and that your shining moments were greatly appreciated.

Although statistics unfairly portray the true admissions process, I think they may be more accurate than we may actually assume, since so many of the applicants are almost equally qualified, that it really does come to a question of lucky of the draw.

Good luck all.

Actually the chances of receiving something other than a rejection (in early June, in their initial set of decisions) are 250/465=54% rather than 73%... the "accepted" proportion of 35.5% and "waitlisted" percentage of 37.9% actually have a lot of overlap with each other (since many people are initially waitlisted but accepted later on). But your point still stands..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Fox Rox

Hey guys, the 10 cut off for verbal is quite strictly enforced but its not absolute. This is no guessing info but was given by the faculty member doing a presentation during the info session when I was there for the interview.

One of my friend with 3.97 and good BS, PS and WR got rejected because he had a 9 on verbal. But the faculty member did say they look for abberations on the application. But all that does not matter anymore. I do believe all the interviews for this year have already been given out.

Guest Sumi23

I am assuming that a fair number of students who get into queen's also get into other schools. I don't have any hope for the initial acceptance round... the best i can hope for is a spot on the waitlist. I was wondering how many of the people who get initial acceptances from Queen's turn it down for another school (ie. how many spots are usually made available for people in the waitlist)? Thanks, in advance, for any insight on this.

In the McMaster forum, someone remarked that at a Queen's interview, a current student had figured that the applicant would have approximately a ~48% chance of getting accepted into Queen's after the interview stage. This seems to be totally incongruent with the calculations we've tried to do here, which estimate a ~33% chance. Not that it makes a huge difference, obviously, because if you get in you get in, but it does make a huge difference for those of us who love to obsess.

Anyone know why someone would estimate 48%? The only difference I can imagine that would separate this from the answer we obtained is if perhaps the ~60 people taken off the waiting list were taken from a waiting list compiled after removing people on the waiting list who didn't want to be there. ie, if those people who got acceptances elsewhere, or for some reason decided against med school at the last moment and informed Queen's of this info before June 15, were taken off the list, and then the 60 people taken to fill the remaining seats came only from those still remaining on the waiting list. This probably isn't likely, but I don't understand where someone would come up with 48%.

• 4 years later...

Archived