Premed 101 Forums

More than 1 UG Degree: How will my GPA be calc'ed?

Hi everyone

I'm new to these forums and had a question regarding multiple UG degrees. I had rather mediocre grades during years 1 and 2 due to a variety of reasons, but then pulled straight A's in years 3,4 and 5. What makes things rather complicated is that I started taking credits towards a second degree during years 3 and 4 and didnt complete my first degree until year 5. I took a full course load (30 credits) during all years so far. At this point I have my Hons. BSc and have one more year (year 6) to go to get my Hons. BA. My question is, how will schools look at these grades?

If I apply this year I presume that the normal GPA calculations would apply (i.e.: last 2 Queens, best 2 western, etc.) What I'm more confused about is what exactly would happen if I were to apply in fall 2007 after I have been granted my second degree. I saw a recent thread about this in these forums where it was stated that some schools would only look at the courses from the most recent degree. Would that mean that my first two years would not be looked at leaving my most recent 4?

Any help that might be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi,

I assume that you're from Ontario, so I'll do a quick rundown to the best of my ability. I think that the only school that might exclude the marks from your previous degree would be UWO, though with two years from Hons. BA above ~3.7, you need not worry about that.

SECOND DEGREE

Students who choose to take a second undergraduate degree cannot expect the Admissions Committee to consider a mixture of GPAs from both degrees. Only the most recent degree work will be considered.

Though the schools have your transcripts, I would advise you to use the supplemental information section to explain your situation, or even contact them if you wish, as your case seems like a complex one. For example, you may have years where you took credits for your two degrees simultaneously.

For the other schools:

Queen's: Just need to make the cutoff - overall or most recent two years.

Toronto: Will look at all your courses, but you can apply the weighting formula if you have taken a full course load each year.

Ottawa: Will consider your last three full time years.

NOSM: Will consider your last three full time years.

McMaster: Looks at all of your courses.

That's great that you turned it around. Good luck.

I was in the same situation. I have 2 degrees (did them in 4.5 yrs) so they too overlapped. If you apply to the Uof Manitoba (as OPP) then they will count all of your undergrad grades regardless of whether it is 2 degrees. However, I do know of someone who had spoken with the admission manager to get them disregarded (however for this person there was 10 yrs btw the two degrees).

K

Uof Manitoba

class of 2010

If you are applying to Ottawa I would just contact them to get it straight from the horse's mouth.

Ottawa does only consider your last degree but since your 2 overlap I am not sure how they would look at it. But either way your first 2 years shouldn`t count as Ottawa will look at the last 3 years.

But it really is a question for the admissions office...and they are pretty helpful :)

I'm in the same situation right now. I've spoken with admissions at NOSM, and apparently they will only consider one degree or the other depending on which has a higher average, in my case, my second degree... therefore, they will only be considering one year's marks for the first cut-off (as it only takes two years to complete a second degree). But Ottawa will look at your last three years (whether a combo of two degrees or not).

Archived