Premed 101 Forums

Evaluation of Autobiographical Sketch?

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone here could shed some light on how exactly the autobiographical sketch is evaluated.

What do you think/know is more important...quality or quantity?

Should you include more post-secondary activities since they will only consider those?

Should high school activities be ignored? (I would think that things you did in high school would show that you have been making contributions for a long time ..but then, they only look at post-sec stuff!)

Hoping to hear from the rest of you ..!

Ottawa says that? Maybe that is new. It wasn`t the case when I applied and I actually had several questions about my high school activities during my interview. It was completely unexpected on my part and frankly, was so long ago I didn`t have much to say about them! Maybe it is a good thing if they only look at post-secondary. Since I didn`t really feel that my experiences in high school really reflected the person I had become and I had left the interview feeling like they didn`t get to know the actual me.

So I guess if you have concerns about what to include, you can always contact the admissions office to clarify.

Good luck!

Sats

Hey there,

I think that statement about considering only activities after high school was there when I applied a few years ago.

Since other schools look at the autobiographical sketch, it doesn't make sense to exclude significant contributions during high school... but realize that the focus of your sketch should be around more recent events. If you decide to stick high school stuff on your autobiographical sketch, still use that space on the extended sketch (I wouldn't leave it blank, if that's what you're asking!).

I was also asked about my high school ECs during my Ottawa interview, so everything on your sketch is fair game!

I am not sure how many people know how the extended sketch is evaluated... last I heard it was contracted out to an external company.

wow....thats pretty interesting that an external company would evaluate the sketches.

And the fact that you said they asked about your high school activities, when they said they would only consider post-secondary stuff is also quite surprising to me - given the fact that I was told my the admissions office that they really don't look at things you did before university.

THIS...just makes me think - how clear is there admissions process? Do they really stick to their admission policies? AND, how are you supposed to know what exactly to do when they are contradicting their own policies?

Well, it is possible that only your post-secondary activities are looked at when they are evaluating your sketch (ie pre-interview).

During the interview though, they aren`t really evaluating your sketch or the activities you did. They are trying to get to know who you are. So maybe that explains what appears to be a contradiction.

Well just out of a faculty meeting...I can confirm that the requirement of only including post-secondary activities is new this year. So yep, that's all you need to fill out. I suspect if you go ahead and include secondary school activities it will just be ignored.

The idea is to compare apples to apples....so activities that applicants did while all going to school full-time.

Hope that helps

Sats

Hi Satsuma,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation! Is there anything else you may be able to advise on, for the application?

Are there any tips you can provide?

Also, do you think its pointless to put in activities that lasted only about 2 months?

Hope to hear from you and others soon!

I don`t really have that much to add. I just wanted to specify that it is the detailed biographical sketch, the one you do for Ottawa, that is specific to post-secondary activities.

I believe that for the sketch that goes out to all the universities will still ask you to include activities since you were 16.

I also believe that it is that sketch that the interviewers have (the one page sketch) so anything on it is fair game for questions.

I don`t think activities that lasted 2 months are pointless to put on. I guess as long as you learned something from them and have space on your sketch.

I had put things like Frosh orientation volunteer and that only lasted 2 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if the admissions committee look at experiences during my Masters education? I did a 2 year Masters degree - course based with two practicum placements. I'd like to include details on these experiences but wasn't sure if they only looked at undergrad years.

Also, I volunteered for 2 organizations and worked full-time at a rehab center after my undergrad, but before my graduate years. Should I include / expand on this employment experience in the detailed autobiographical sketch - U of O? Would they look at it?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if the admissions committee look at experiences during my Masters education? I did a 2 year Masters degree - course based with two practicum placements. I'd like to include details on these experiences but wasn't sure if they only looked at undergrad years.

Also, I volunteered for 2 organizations and worked full-time at a rehab center after my undergrad, but before my graduate years (i.e. not during university). Should I include / expand on this employment experience in the detailed autobiographical sketch - U of O? Would they look at it?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Anyone have any insights on this one?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Hi Astroboy

I suspect (but don't know) that they would look at extracurriculars during your grad degree since that is post-secondary but with an emphasis on your undergrad.

As for your work experience while not in school...my advice is to contact the school. From what I understand they at least wouldn`t put much emphasis there, if they considered it at all. If you did include it and they didn`t want it they would probably just skip it ...apparently they typically have focussed on just post-secondary and this year decided to just ask for only that.

Contacting the school is probably your best bet at having a solid answer to run with.

Hi Astroboy

I suspect (but don't know) that they would look at extracurriculars during your grad degree since that is post-secondary but with an emphasis on your undergrad.

As for your work experience while not in school...my advice is to contact the school. From what I understand they at least wouldn`t put much emphasis there, if they considered it at all. If you did include it and they didn`t want it they would probably just skip it ...apparently they typically have focussed on just post-secondary and this year decided to just ask for only that.

Contacting the school is probably your best bet at having a solid answer to run with.

Thanks Satsuma for the advice. Much appreciated!

Archived