Premed 101 Forums

Good Shoes for clerkship rotations

Guest pistachio

Guest pistachio

to the other clerks out there--did you buy clogs or special shoes for wearing in the OR, obstetrics, etc? Do you think it's necessary? Did any of you get a pair of shoes that you really love? thanks

Guest jmh2005

I bought a pair of those rubber Birkenstocks, I wore them in Ob and surgery I think...they were quite comfortable actually and very easy to clean (came in handy on several occasions...)

Otherwise I just wore runners when I was in scrubs and regular 'ole shoes when I dressed like a 'normal' person.

For my residency I plan on using them for the same rotations...hope this helps :)

I just wore sneakers. However a lot of my friends got surgery shoes, especially my friends going into surgical subspecialties or planning to do a prelim year in surgery. One of my friends loved his new shoes... although he admitted it took him a while to break them in. I myself will probably end up getting some OR shoes, especially if I decide to pursue anesthesiology...

Guest Ian Wong

When I was a student on surgical rotations, I had a pair of clogs called Anywears. I got them in black. They're made of polyurethane (rubber, basically). They are somewhat rigid, and were a lot more comfy than sneakers/dress shoes when standing up in the OR all day. They've got a few small vent holes in them, but even still, if you wear them long enough, they get your feet kind of sweaty. They're essentially splatter-proof; the vents are on the bottom side of the clogs so if anything should fall on your shoes from above, they won't enter the vent holes.

The shoes that I've been wearing in residency, and which I LOVE (I don't wear anything else in the hospital, and often wear them outside of work too), are made by Merrell.

The two types that I wear a lot are the Jungle Moc, and the Primo Breeze 2. The Jungle Moc is pretty waterproof, and would be the clog of choice if you anticipate getting barfed on, peed on, or otherwise dripped on. The Jungle Moc is unbelievably comfy; I love wearing these things. The disadvantage is that it can get your feet a little sweaty if you have them on more than say 12 hours or so. Both models can be seen here:

www.merrell.com/catalog/gallery.asp?NavID=MMS

As a result, when I'm on call and going for 30 hours, my shoe of choice is the Primo Breeze 2. These things have a lightweight mesh on their uppers, and therefore are super-ventilated. These guys are also amazingly comfortable; the difference is that they give up waterproofness for a lot more breathability. I've converted at least 3 other housestaff to these clogs (well, at least I've seen 3 other folks wearing them, and I'm pretty sure I had mine first!).

These are great both if you are standing up all the time, or need to be walking. I've got 6 pairs of Merrell's at this point, which is pretty amazing seeing as I'd never even heard of them a year ago. They're available in lots of store, but probably the cheapest place to buy them is through eBay.

Ian

Guest michca

Agreed... I LOVE LOVE LOVE Merrell! They are super comfy! And lightweight! I now own two pairs (the Polar Moc and the Primo Moc II) and my feet are super comfy in them. I am definitely planning on purchasing additional Merrells for 3rd year!

Guest UWOMED2005

I bought the cheapest ghetto shoes I could get for Obs/gyn.

Then threw them out after the rotation.

If you're thinking of doing surgery or Obs/gyn, the rubber birks seem to be the way to go - many to most of the surgeons I've worked with go with those. But don't drop $100 on a pair of shoes you're only going to use for 3 months - an old pair of runners work just as well.

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

I too, have a pair of Merrells and offer a big thumbs up. Coupled with a great pair of high-percentage woolly socks, there's little more comfort available for feet. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DrSahsi

I use Merrells for day-to-day work now (and will probably end up buying them in bulk after my next paycheque) but wouldn't recommend them for OB/GYN. The "ghetto" shoes idea is the way to go for that rotation.

Mmm. Amniotic splashworks...

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Actually, as an addendum, I agree with the above re: splashy specialties. My current surgery preceptor gave me a pair of his rubber clogs to wear while in the OR so as not to ruin the Merrell's. It can often get a little damp in there when injecting hundreds of ccs of tumescence fluid or excising large areas of skin, so the clogs were a welcome addition to the shoe closet. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest therealcrackers

Holey Soles makes lightweight, colorful, plastic shoes you can run through the washing machine. I have about three pairs; the traditional ones have holes in the front and top and sides (they were designed as paddling clogs for canoeists, so they float and drain easily), but there is a variety that has a solid top so blood/amniotic fluid/vomit/bile doesn't get onto your socks or feet. The padding is great for concrete floors and you can run in them.

Archived