Premed 101 Forums

Length of the program

I was wondering if someone can give me the dates for the program. I know that both med 1 and 2 run from September to the end of May, but what about med 3 and 4. I know we don't get summers off, but I don't believe they are a full year, but I could be wrong. I have been trying to find information about their duration, but I am having a hard time doing so. Also, I am assuming a residency in something like Family medicine would be 2 full years in duration, like other residencies such as ER or IM. Thanks.

Hey there,

You are correct for years 1 and 2 you go until the end of May.

Year 3 you start mid-August you don`t get summers but you do get a week or 2 here and there. I don`t have the specifics (if I recall 3rd years had a week at the end of May this year?) as they actually never presented this info to us. I have gotten used to just being happy when they can give us our block schedule at least a few days before the block actually starts let alone what my life is going to entail in a couple of years!

Others on the board may be able to give you more details. It is unfortunate that we don`t get too much info about this from the school when admitted. But, they did give us a password to a site last year that had the outline for the program (but no specific dates). So you will likely get that after you get here some time.

I think the university takes a "we'll tell you what you need to know when you need to know it" forgetting that med students tend to feel a need to at least roughly plan their path years in advance!

Sorry I wasn`t much more help

Sats

Archived