Premed 101 Forums

# of people admitted

Kiel

• 1 month later...

I have gone through the CARMS report in detail (I think) and still can't seem to find the number of spots available at each school for a particular program. For example, how many spots are there for pediatrics at McMaster? While the report shows the total quota, nation-wide for each discipline, as well as the number of spots vacant after the first iteration for each program/school, I don't think (though I could've missed it) that it shows the number of spots available for each specific program at each school. I would really like to have a look at this info so if someone could point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it!

(Another thought...could it be that this info used to be posted with the "program directory" details for each school/program but that it has been removed pending the changes regarding IMGs?)

Thanks!

JL

<><

Hey,

If you go through the individual schools' program descriptions on the CaRMS website, at the beginning of each there should be an "estimated quota" (which is usually correct) which tells you the number of spots available within that individual program. The reason that it is estimated is kind of a long story that I don't care to go into detail about at this time, but usually it is pretty accurate.

There can be changes in the quota sometime between the website opens (now) and when the match occurs; there may be a couple of spots "unallocated" in August that get hashed through a committee and allocated based on need, resources, etc... so usually the number may go up a bit, but very rarely down.

Hey all,

Thanks so much for the quick replies. I had thought that in the past I'd seen the quota numbers on the individual program description pages, as you mentioned. However, these numbers are no longer displayed, at least for the programs I'm interested in and a few other random ones I clicked on. I won't be matching until 2008, so I shall wait awhile and hope they put the quota estimates back up in a month or two :) Perhaps they haven't determined them for the 2007 match yet?

Either way, thanks for the suggestions :)

JL

<><

Hi there,

The quota numbers for each program have not yet been posted. They were available last year during the height of CaRMS and presumably they will be made available again shortly. (When I spoke to someone at CaRMS a little while ago they noted that they were in the throes of finalizing the program directory, including the quota numbers.) Saying all of that, though, it's possible, just like last year, that the quotas will change a little after they are published. This is generally good news as last year they changed when more funding, i.e., spots, was made available for a few programs.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived