Premed 101 Forums

50-70% success rate for IP?

White-Tiger

According to this official publication by the AFMC, http://www.afmc.ca/docs/2006_admissions_book.pdf, it seems that quebec residents have a success chance hovering around 50-70% for admission to McGill's MDCM program.

That seems strangely high compared to all other schools...is it right?

I know that applying to the MDCM program requires both a bachelors degree and the MCAT. And most french students doing their university degree won't bother doing the MCAT solely for McGill (as the 3 frenchies don't require it), but is it tilting the chances THAT much???

According to this official publication by the AFMC, http://www.afmc.ca/docs/2006_admissions_book.pdf, it seems that quebec residents have a success chance hovering around 50-70% for admission to McGill's MDCM program.

That seems strangely high compared to all other schools...is it right?

I know that applying to the MDCM program requires both a bachelors degree and the MCAT. And most french students doing their university degree won't bother doing the MCAT solely for McGill (as the 3 frenchies don't require it), but is it tilting the chances THAT much???

Here is some clarifying info:

McGill typically gets about 170 applications for about 70-80 spots in the MDCM program (according to recent website data). Last year they got 250, which was exceptional (double cohort in Ontario led to many "reborn Quebecois" - you're considered in-province just by being born here even if you never really lived here), interviewed 135, and they took 74. So last year the odds were about 30%. The data you cite is older. So the question is, why do they get so few applications compared to other schools? (Mac gets what, a few thousand in-province?)

Here's why:

-BIGGEST REASON: the Quebec resident keeners are all drained off through the Med-P program (see your book for more info). You can get into med school right out of CEGEP, without getting a degree. Competition is fiercer for the MED-Ps - McGill got about 400 apps for 80 spots last year, if I recall. So tons of potential med students are becoming doctors without applying to MDCM (why get a degree and take the MCAT if you don't have to, right?)

-English-only school in a French province. Minority population to begin with. About 2 million anglos I think? Sure, some bilingual francos go to McGill, usually through Med-P, but the population from which your applicant pool is chosen is quite low. Plus, the other three Quebec schools DON'T require the MCAT for their normal (i.e. non-med-p) MD programs. So bilingual Anglos can be attracted there as well, and not bother taking MCAT or applying to McGill (hey, they still have shots at three schools).

-McGill has relatively harsh entrance standards, or at least advertises same on their website (e.g. "forget it if you have less than 3.5/30"). I had no idea, for example, that they would actually accept my part-time semesters (i.e. take into account the fact that I was also working full-time) - it was a pleasant surprise. There was no indication of them being anything but hardasses on their applicant's website. It can seem intimidating. Besides, if you're a QC res. who was not good enough to get into MED-P, and you went to go get a degree to prove yourself and try again, you may not really be able to get the grades needed during your degree (or you woulda got into med-P, etc...) so you just choose something else or go to Ireland or something.

So they just get a really low number of in-province applicants is all, which skews the acceptance percentages. Their GPA and MCAT averages for the entering class are pretty competitive (not as good as some in Ontario, but that's cause Ontario's getting glutted these days) but certainly not lower than most Canadian schools.

Hope that explains it.

-Cat

McGill Med1 (yay!)

Yeah, makes sense.

But that remains that if I got over a 3.5cGPA and over 30 MCAT. (both are checked)..I've got *darn* good chances of being accepted, assuming I don't bomb the interview. Right? :)

Yup. You have about a 50% chance of getting in if you are selected for an interview. Last year they interviewed 135, accepted 74.

It's about more than numbers though, as some people with similar/adequate stats did not get interviews. I imagine they try to screen out the unfeeling bastards (they do so imperfectly, unfortunately).

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Thanks trustwomen for that excellent explanation. One question...is the "double cohort in Ontario" thing going to be a factor for admission in 2008? Meaning, would there be closer to 250 applicants or 170?

Honestly, I don't know. It's an echo thing, right, meaning that the extra bunch that didn't get in last year may apply this year, etc... I think it won't be that high come 2008. Besides, your odds are quite good even then - certainly better than in most other provinces.

wait, so April 2007 is when the double cohort class graduates from undergrad right???

Yup, the double cohort class is graduating and applying to med school this year.

I wanted to add that Toronto has almost the same percentage of those accepted after the interview. They say they have roughly 450 interviews for 224 spots. So again, its 50/50.

Archived