Premed 101 Forums

Referees for apps

MDhopeful

Hello,

I am in a predicament as to who to ask for my last referee for my upcoming application deadlines. I recently graduated from a PT program (1 year ago) but I have a strong feeling that they might not be receptive of students wanting to go to do medicine after.

I worked for 5 years in retail (until about 1 year ago) and the managers were really fond of me.

Do you think it is more beneficial to ask my old manager to be a reference (even though it is unrelated to the field of healthcare) or to ask an old instructor from the PT program (even though they may potentially give me a weak reference)?

I can't decide. Would appreciate any input, thanks in advance!:)

Assuming you must send in more than one reference letter, I think you can have one letter from your manager, as long as your other letters are more med-related or school related. I asked my employer to write me a letter and it worked out fine. Basically, the committee wants to get to know you, and if your manager knows you well and will for sure write great things about you, then I'd go with the manager.

Archived