Premed 101 Forums

Hi there,

I assume that you're referring to clerkship evaluations? From what I've heard from my classmates and from these fora, bad evaluations are, unfortunately, given out during clerkship. At UofC there is an appeals process for students who feel that their clerkship evaluation is unsubstantiated. I'd assume that there is a similar process that may be followed at other schools. It might be an idea to investigate this process further if an evaluation is felt to be unwarranted.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 2 weeks later...

At my school I think bad evals are rare but it depends who you talk to. Also students sometimes perceive an evaluation as bad when it all actuality it is average. If you have a huge problem with the eval it is best to talk to the staff directly and then to a person in your student affairs office. They should be able to help.

I don't know if other school do this but, at my school before CaRMS a student advisor meets with all of the students here individually and goes over all of the evaluations. We can eliminate any comments that we feel are particularly unfavorable-the catch being you have to get rid of the comments for the entire rotation not just the unfavorable statement (getting rid of any good with the bad). We cannot however eliminate our actual "number scores" from the evals.

Hi there,

Some of the folks who I've spoken with at UofC who have received "bad" evaluations, indeed, received evaluations marked with a global rotation rating of "average". ("Average" is the least positive of the possibly positive ratings with "Excellent" and "Outstanding" obviously being higher ratings at UofC.) It can be a bit devastating for a clerk to receive an "average" rating for a rotation, the specialty of which they are planning to apply for residency. I doubt that an "average" rating in the applicant's discipline of choice would be viewed well by residency selection committees. :(

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived