Premed 101 Forums

How important is Employment??

Kuantum

Hi everyone,

I'm currently a med. hopeful (applying this year) and I have realized that I have pretty weak employment experience. I have had three summer jobs and that's pretty much it. The thing is I'm not so rich that I don't work, but I have a pretty good reason why I wouldn't work. I've put in sentences in my essay that explains this, but I'm just wondering how it might affect me. Any thoughts?

Hmmm...I don't think it's bad at all, as long as you had something else to do with your time, and it sounds like you had some good reason. But if I were you, I wouldn't focus my essay on that - you don't want them to concentrate on the negatives. I think pretty much on every application you have some space to describe "special circumstances" or add comments, so I'd put it on there, not in the essay. Focus on your strengths in the essay.

i think everyone's afraid of their lack of work experience. but if you think about it, the vast majority of applicants (and those who've gotten in) have just completed their undergrad degree. i don't think that the adcoms expect you to take on a full time job while doing part time volunteer work and full time school. if you have plenty of work experience that you can elaborate on, then it can only help you. if you only have three summers' worth, then just realize that it's better than nothing -- it won't hurt you compared to the vast majority of other applicants.

I agree with the jgray and jochi. Your lack of work experience is not going to break your application. As jochi said, focus on your strengths in the essay and don't dwell on this in your essay. If there isn't an 'additional comments' section this is something that the interviewers would bring up in the interview IF they wanted to.

Madz

Archived