Premed 101 Forums

Golden Key Honour Society

patch

Has anyone heard of Golden Key or are members of the society? Is it worth it to join, what are the benefits?...They sent me an invitation to join but I am worried it is just a scam to get my membership fee and then send me a bunch of junk mail. I have no idea if this has been mentioned on the board before so sorry if this is a double post.

Any opinions out there?

Thanks!

ahh... good old Golden Key Honours Society. I paid the membership fee and I can say that it is no different than not signing up. It's not really an amazing achievement anyway (since most people will be offered membership as well). I don't even feel its worthwhile to put on my resume! just my 2 cents.

I agree. It was totally useless. I didn't have a chance at any of the very few scholarships they had. Unless you plan to be president of the society or have a minimum 3.99 GPA and a golden community service history (in order to be elibible for the 3 scholarships they have) then forget it. Save yourself the $80 or so and don't bother.

They send out massive amounts of invitations to apply to Golden Key to everyone at your university who makes the Dean's List. It is a cash grab plain and simple. I'm sure some Golden Key executive will come on here and tell me that I don't know anything and that Golden Key is the best organization in the world. Whatever, I don't care. I joined Golden Key and I wish I didn't. It was a waste of money and didn't help me one bit. I ended up getting into med school without mentioning Golden Key at all.

If you want to pad your resume, go do some volunteer work where you don't have to pay an admissions fee. Save that money for your med apps.

Archived