Premed 101 Forums

Really Bad Situation for me now, NEED HELP!

Hello to all the potential and admitted smart students,

I just completed a 5 year undergraduate degree in biological chemistry, and I was about to do research for PhD, but after three research jobs, I quit from the idea. Then I decide to do medicine or dentistry. However, I don't have 5 full course load per year, only if I add the summer ones does it add up to 5. My cGPA is only 3.51, despite my last 2 year average is around 86%. I got accepted by a master degree, which I was thinking of using it as a transition for medical schoool. But I realized that no matter how good marks you get in master degree, you will not meet the requirement for 5 courses per term. So I decide to do a 2nd degree. If it is a 2nd degree, I will definitely still choose science, but then there will be so many overlaps towards my first degree, what will the admission people think? How will they treat me? Can I speed up the pace by doing 6 courses per term such that I could finish the 2nd degree in a similar time fashion as I would in the Master degree?

I would love someone experienced to give me some really good advice and suggestion as the master degree starts next week, and I need to make the decision soon.

THANK YOU FOR ALL

It's a tough call- do a master's or start a second undergrad degree.

What schools do you plan on applying to? I can only speak for the Ontario schools. If you do a master's it will only benefit you if your research productivity is good (and only benefit you at UT and UO, possibly Queens if your MCAT is good). If you do a second undergrad, I would target the schools that look at your most recent two years (Western and Queens) and make sure you do extremely well on the MCAT. For these schools, the admissions people won't care if your 2nd undergrad degree has a lot of overlap with the first one. As long as you get good marks in your second degree I wouldn't worry too much.

It is possible to finish a 3 year degree, in 2 years if many courses from your first degree are eligible for transfer (which seems like the case). I would avoid 6 courses per semester, because it will be harder to keep your GPA up.

Hello, I did my undergrad in U of T, and getting accepted in UBC for master. The program starts next Tuesday, so I need to make up of my mind before that day. Since I am BC residents, and also eligible for Ontario schools in province, I plan to go to U of T to do a 5 course half semester in this september, and coming to SFU in BC for second degree from Jan to May, then either continue SFU or transfer to UBC for summer and onwards. However, below is my current situation, I need your futhre suggestion and help. Thank you

Hello, I really do wish to get into UBC medical school. However, my undergraduate year is painful. First half of first year, I was in Engineering, and did terribly and actualyl don't like it, then I transfer out to Non-degree student, and the school only allows me to take 3 courses. I took two full year courses in the first summer. I had 5 full course load in the second year as a toxicology student, and transfered into pharmacology in 3rd year. I did really bad in the first half of 3rd year, but I somehow managed to get a few A- in the second half. I only got 4 full course in that year. Then I did a research based couse in the summer, and get A+. The 4th year I only took 3 full courses, and all of them are A range. The 5th year, I only took 2.5 courses in the regular term, but I took 3.5 in the summer, all getting A+.

I got offered of Master in UBC, but I just realized that people who just got into Master cannot apply to med until they have the degree conferred. Then I will only have one shot for medical school before I got "unemployed". In addition, I don't meet most Ontario 5 full course load, and my cGPA is only 3.51, despite an average of 86% in the last ten full courses.

I heard UBC looked at the summer courses, so i might still have a chance, but not for other schools.

The master degree starts next week, and I need people's advice if I am better in shape to get into med if I do a second degree? or I just did Master and get one shot for UBC?

I am from biological chemistry in undergrad, if I have to choose a second degree, which one is "easy" and fat to complete in less than 3 year, if I take more than 5 courses and also courses in summer?

I got really good marks for all the prerequisite courses, but if I start a new degree, I have to repeat all those? Other courses I might also have been previously exposed, how will the admission people think of this second degree? It sounds like a "repeat".

Advice please!!! THANK YOU FROM BOTTOM OF MY HEART

Hello, I did my undergrad in U of T, and getting accepted in UBC for master. The program starts next Tuesday, so I need to make up of my mind before that day. Since I am BC residents, and also eligible for Ontario schools in province, I plan to go to U of T to do a 5 course half semester in this september, and coming to SFU in BC for second degree from Jan to May, then either continue SFU or transfer to UBC for summer and onwards. However, below is my current situation, I need your futhre suggestion and help. Thank you

Hello, I really do wish to get into UBC medical school. However, my undergraduate year is painful. First half of first year, I was in Engineering, and did terribly and actualyl don't like it, then I transfer out to Non-degree student, and the school only allows me to take 3 courses. I took two full year courses in the first summer. I had 5 full course load in the second year as a toxicology student, and transfered into pharmacology in 3rd year. I did really bad in the first half of 3rd year, but I somehow managed to get a few A- in the second half. I only got 4 full course in that year. Then I did a research based couse in the summer, and get A+. The 4th year I only took 3 full courses, and all of them are A range. The 5th year, I only took 2.5 courses in the regular term, but I took 3.5 in the summer, all getting A+.

I got offered of Master in UBC, but I just realized that people who just got into Master cannot apply to med until they have the degree conferred. Then I will only have one shot for medical school before I got "unemployed". In addition, I don't meet most Ontario 5 full course load, and my cGPA is only 3.51, despite an average of 86% in the last ten full courses.

I heard UBC looked at the summer courses, so i might still have a chance, but not for other schools.

The master degree starts next week, and I need people's advice if I am better in shape to get into med if I do a second degree? or I just did Master and get one shot for UBC?

I am from biological chemistry in undergrad, if I have to choose a second degree, which one is "easy" and fat to complete in less than 3 year, if I take more than 5 courses and also courses in summer?

I got really good marks for all the prerequisite courses, but if I start a new degree, I have to repeat all those? Other courses I might also have been previously exposed, how will the admission people think of this second degree? It sounds like a "repeat".

Advice please!!! THANK YOU FROM BOTTOM OF MY HEART

I think UBC calculates all your grades together, if I remember. So doing more school will only help you a little. What you might find interesting is to study something that you like that is not science, and take the science courses as electives, to round out your application and make you look more interesting.

Archived