Premed 101 Forums

European Medical Graduates

REL

I'm curious to know if anybody that checks this forum is a graduate from a medical school in Europe. Or if there you considered/applied to European med schools. Any insight into the medical system, applications process and education techniques would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...
I'm curious to know if anybody that checks this forum is a graduate from a medical school in Europe. Or if there you considered/applied to European med schools. Any insight into the medical system, applications process and education techniques would be appreciated.
This was discussed in the past... on the old board. The threads are probably still kicking around there. I wrote a piece about foreign medical schools here --> http://p090.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm22.showMessage?topicID=204.topic

The problem with a MD from a European school is it is difficult to get a certificate of registration to practise medicine in Canada. As in the FAQ I wrote... the CFMS has a warning:

Although Canadian citizens will always have the right to return to and work in Canada, Canadians contemplating enrolment in a foreign medical school should know that any limitations on recognition of foreign earned MDs apply to qualification earned abroad by citizens AS WELL AS BY NON-CITIZENS of Canada. Strong motivation, determination and adequate academic preparation are in themselves NO GUARANTEE that a Canadian citizen who attends a foreign medical school will be able to train or practice medicine in Canada in the future.

The Irish schools cater to Canadians that cannot get into med school in Canada (see http://www.atlanticbridge.com/). Assuming you want to practise in Canada at some point, if there is a chance you can get in here-- apply here.

Good Luck!

Archived