Premed 101 Forums

taking intro to physics (gr. 12 level) in undergrad

hey,

I didnt take physics in gr 12 and so am taking this supplementary course in undergrad just so it can help me with my MCAT. i was wondering if it in anyway affects my courseload since it might not count as an undergrad course. Currently i have a 32 credit courseload and if i remove this its 28. I want to be eligible for uoft's weighting scheme for each of my 4 undergrad years. If anyone can clear this up for me, it would be very helpful

thx a lot

Hi there,

If you can use the course for university credit, then I don't see why a medical school would ignore it. You need to look into this if you are not sure.

If you wish to use this course a physics prerequisite for medical school, you need to be careful as certain medical schools, such as Alberta, require certain types of physics courses to be taken.

Some additional information: a course, though not for credit for a degree, could still count for full courseload.

13) I took a first year course as an “extra” course. My university will not count the mark in my GPA or the credit towards my degree requirements. How will it count in my application?

The CGPA as calculated by your university is not used. All marks from courses taken in the regular academic session will count in the GPA for application to the MD Program. If you have only four credits counting towards your degree because the fifth is an “extra,” it will still be assessed as a full course load in that session.

Please note that applicants are not expected to have a large number of first year courses when they reach the senior years.

Archived