Premed 101 Forums

Class of 2009 Stats

Hey all,

Here are some stats that we received, I thought it might be of interest:

The average age of matriculation is 24.2 years (dropped from 25.9 the year before)

The average best two years gpa is 3.85 (up from 3.79 last year)

# of men = 67, # of women = 59

The average MCATs are physical 11.07, verbal 10.56, writing Q, biological 11.77 (last year: 10.10, 10.48, Q and 11.00 respectively).

Good luck with apps! :)

Wow, those are some strong stats. I have a question about the descriptions for the online application. How should we do those, is it like UBC where you need to phrase it in a way so that you emphasize some soft skills you gained, or do they just want a cut-and-dry description. I ask because I tried copying exactly what I used for my UBC application into the Calgary one, but I keep getting "descriptions are too long" warnings.

Wow, those are some strong stats. I have a question about the descriptions for the online application. How should we do those, is it like UBC where you need to phrase it in a way so that you emphasize some soft skills you gained, or do they just want a cut-and-dry description. I ask because I tried copying exactly what I used for my UBC application into the Calgary one, but I keep getting "descriptions are too long" warnings.

wow ... ucalgary changed their application for the descriptions. you can write "this is a sentence." three times before it cuts you off. however, i see that you can add multiple bullet points for each activity. my suggestion is to use one bullet point to do a cut-and-dry description, and another bullet point to do a "what i extra skills i gained" if you think it's necessary. alternatively, use a second bullet point to list more responsibilities that wouldn't fit in the original line. therefore, each extra curric can take as few as 5 lines but yet still be effective.

Another tidbit Adele mentioned was that this year there were double the number of students admitted without degrees. The exact numbers I don't know but I'm sure just check past stats and double those.:)

As for people who don't fit the statistical profile.....remember no one really does, it's an average, we've got people who are 19 in our class and 40ish, we have people who bombed verbal and those that pretty much aced it. And considering the GPA, that again is extremely variable.

Have fun filling out those applications, hope to meet some of you next year!-

• 3 weeks later...
Another tidbit Adele mentioned was that this year there were double the number of students admitted without degrees. The exact numbers I don't know but I'm sure just check past stats and double those

I don't know if I would read too much into it. From what I understand the number of non-degree students admitted fluctuates from year to year depending on the applicant pool. Also with the increase in seats and the adoption of the new oop algoritm it isn't surprising that all the stats are going to be a little off this year and maybe for the next one.

• 3 months later...

No before. I was waiting for MCAT scores before applying to UofC. However, after receiving my scores, I was absolutely sure my application was no longer competitive. Also, I didn't think a 3-year program would be ideal for me, thus, I also chose not apply to Mac as well.

Archived