Premed 101 Forums

Gender Breakdown of 1T0 Class

Hey there,

One interesting theory is that the gender of the interviewers might influence the eventual gender make-up of the class. I've heard from one person, at least, who was an interviewer in medical school, that she gave the thumbs-up to one applicant partly because he was cute. It's a pretty taboo topic, but it might warrant a bit of a study. :confused:

Cheers,

Kirsteen

I suppose they could always plant some medical school "applicants" in the interview field with equal capabilities but differing physical appearance, and see how the applicants are scored.

I remember seeing a report on 20/20 back in the day that showed that appearance did have an effect when people were applying for jobs or trying to get help with a broken down car.

To some extent there might be reverse discrimination for the cute applicant in the future as people may think that he got to where he was based on his appearance. This also may not be the case, but is just a thought.

Malcolm Gladwell comments on the phenomenom of the disproportionate number of tall men earning Fortune 500 CEO positions here.

i think i know what youre talking about scrubbed.:D

i saw something in psych class where a good looking woman with absolute sh*t credentials and experience was given a job over a not so good looking lady (who purposely wore makeup to make her look "ugly")!!

when asked why the interviewer chose the good looking one, he said she had a soothing voice, while the other one was rather harsh sounding-- again, bullsh*t. the "ugly" one hosted a radio show and clearly had the more soothing voice. some people, eh?

i guess all we can do is give it our best shot, no matter what.:rolleyes:

Not only that, but a lot of people try to network with med students and may in fact be their "buddies". I wonder what kind of effect that'll turn out when interview time evaluations come....

When med students are given files for either review or interview, they must disclose if they know the applicant, and they will not review/interview that person. If admissions found out that you didn't disclose that, I think there would be some serious trouble...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived