Premed 101 Forums

Silly Ottawa Extracurricular activities question

Ok, I need some assistance.

For Ottawa's Extracurricular activities, it states:

"Specify your education level, ie: 1st year of university. Indicate if the activity was during the summer or academic year, the hours per week and the number of years. Indicate the type of activity: individual activity, team activity or club activity (ie sports, arts, music, student governments, personal activities such as camping etc) For sports activities, indicate at which level you performed: recreational, varsity, intramural, provincial, national or international."

so, it woulod look like...

Verifier: 1

Level of Ed: 4th year of uni

Hours: 6

Summer or Academic: 100 CHARACTERS to write either "summer" or "academic"???

Type of Activity/Level of Performance: EITHER "individual activity", "team activity" or "club activity"... and then here it only asks you to expand a tiny bit if it was for sports. this is 150 CHARACTERS!!

does this make sense to anyone?? Ottawa is such a stickler for doing it by the book... so, i'm trying but i'm getting kinda frustrated.

anyone understand what i'm trying to say here??

chrail

You can use point form as long as it is clear and common abbreviations

It is hard...but I actually think that you are allowed more space now then in the past (not that that will make you feel better!)

It seems impossible at first...but you can actually get the important stuff in there!

Hey there,

I remember thinking the same thing when I had to fill that out!

However, not everyone's activities are so black and white.. ie. sometimes I worked part-time during the school year and full-time during the summer, so the extra characters in the odd places made it easier to explain non-standard responses!

Good luck!

hey,

are we even allowed to add details or a brief description for the uofO sketch?

the instructions do not say if we should, and i dont want to add them in case i piss off those who look at the sketches. sucks cuz they dont mention whether we should elaborate.

could anyone please clarify and give us some tips? thanks:D

hiya,

i'm only writing EXACTLY what they tell us. For the extracurricular it doesn't say to elborate AT ALL.. so I'm not. Really... most of my answers say "Independent activity"... and that's it!! (even though there is a 150 character allotment!)

i know a lot of ppl don't read these ottawa sketch forms as much as they should.. and since it's so hard to get past this sketch anyway i figured i should do it by the book.

good luck!!

chrail

hey

i think i remember reading a post from a while back saying that ottawa liked to see "what we learned" from each activity. do you think that's applicable to ECs even though they don't explicitly state that we should mention what the activities involved?

thanks

Daisy

on saturday i went to a med school info thinggy and one of the persons from the admissions committee of UofO was there. he specifically said, to the nearest meaning, that they like to see what we learned or gained from the volunteer experience.

i also heard him say that extracurricular activites should NOT be followed by a "brief description".... he said, what do i care how you elaborate on how you went biking in the Gatineau Hills. it doesnt really add much, whereas it gives a bit more insight when the description concerns volunteer-- all this is consistent with the OMSAS guidelines for UofO, which is kinda reassuring. if that was a run on sentence, i dont care.

hope i helped though. :eek:

Archived