Premed 101 Forums

kaplan vs. PR

Guest Newbyreborn

Guest Newbyreborn

which mcat study guide in your opinion is better? i am a very poor student who plans to self study for the mcat, i am a lifescience major at u of t. i am taking bio, chem, physics, calc, and psych. do you guys think these courses will help?

and also, is exam kraker and gold standard any good?

EK is expensive and gold standard i saw was pretty much grade 12 notes... so... i don't know, i have never taken mcat, please, any response would be good :)

Guest LK MD

I used the Kaplan books, studied on my own without paying for the classroom sessions and scored 36R. Both Kaplan and Princeton Review actually teach you more than you need to know and their practice tests are harder than the real MCAT and not quite the same. Once you have the books to study from (whichever you decide) DEFINITELY sign up on the AAMC webpage for access to all the REAL MCATS that have been previously administered. Those tests will give you the best idea what to expect. All my books, study guides, flash cards, etc are for sale for $150 if you want em. Good luck!

LK

Guest Madz25

www.aamc.org/students/mca...etests.htm

The above website lists the exams and corresponding prices. As you can see, exams are $40 US each (unless you get that web format package deal). That being said, I think that $150 for all those materials is a great deal!

Also, in response to kaplan vs. PR. I think both are good. However, I think that PR's verbal reasoning is tougher than that of kaplan. I took the PR course last summer and liked it. There are people that do well and poorly on the MCAT that have taken either course (one isn't better than the other). It really depends on the person and what suits you best.

Guest studentz

If you're a bit weak in the VR section TPR'c course is better than Kaplan's. A lot depends on the instructor, but you get 9 verbal/WS sessions in TPR vs 3 in Kaplan. The materials are also better in TPR.

I took Kaplan, and taught TPR, so that's how I can compare both. You really should use the AAMC tests for practice, though TPR (and probably Kaplan) uses the most recent ones in the mock exams.

Archived