Premed 101 Forums

a good plan or an impossible one?

Guest CASTLECASCADE

Guest CASTLECASCADE

I am not sure if this has been asked anywhere before in this forum or not. Also maybe most of us know the answer to my question. But I don't. So please answer.

(I am talking with U of T undergrad and U of T Med school in my mind. But most part might be common to most universities.)

Med school requires 3 years of undergrad before applying. And pharmacy school requires 1 year of undergrad before applying. (Ofcourse both require pre-requisites.) So can I try 1 year of undergraduation course in say, life science; then apply to pham. school; study in pharm. school for 2 years; then apply to med school. If i get accepted to med school, wow. If not, continue with my pharm. school and be a pharmacist.

(Ofcourse this is assuming that i get in to pharm. school etc.)

So my question is " IS THE ABOVE PATH A POSSIBLE AND A GOOD (BACKUP) PLAN OR IS THERE ANY TECHNICAL PROBLEM WITH THAT? "

NB: infact i am happy i got admitted to U of T undergrad this fall for life science.

Rumour is that UofT and most of the other Ontario schools will follow UWO and NOSM and require a full 4 years of undergrad before you can get into med school. On top of that, with UWO.. don't you need a degree to apply? I don't know if you could do that with your plan.

Guest oliver5

I don't about UofT but I know you certainly can do that for UBC Med (a quite common path) and I know of pple at UBC who went to ontario after 3 years ( 1 of science, 2 of pharmacy) . Pharmacy is a great Undergrad and totally relevant if you want to go into Med. But a warning... pharmacy won't want you if you show any desire to go to Medicine ;) .

Guest UW Premed

I've got a friend in UofT pharmacy and is considering med school. She told me it's rather difficult keeping your gpa high in pharmacy and is afraid she may not make the cutoff. Just something for you to consider. There are easier routes, but if you really enjoy pharmacy, I'd say go for it :)

Guest PhysiologyDude

Coming from a person who wants a career in pharmacy, are you sure that is what you want to do? I know people mention back-up plans and all, but keep in mind that the school is training you to become a pharmacist. Your plan about 1 year of undergrad followed by pharmacy (should you get in after first year), followed by two years of pharmacy will not work, as I believe that you require minimum of 3 years in one subject area or degree.

As unbiased as I'm trying to be, try and consider the views of a person on an adcom. You've done 1 year of a B.Sc., started 3 years of a pharm., degree, then you're applying to meds. I'm pretty sure you'd have to adequately explain why you chose that path.

P-Dude

Guest toroHaro

Back up plans are always good. But for me, professional programs are meant to train people for the field. By entering those programs, you are depriving another candidate a chance to realise his dream, shall he sincerely want to be a pharmacist. I don't want to sound like a moralist here, but there are other ways to get to your goal. Pharmacy, as mentioned above, is not the easiest course because of the huge workload and labs.

Guest kellyl20

My sibling got into med after 1 yr in science and 2 years in Pharmacy. Said Pharm is easier than Biology.

No problem with UWO, Queens, UBC, UA, UT and Calgary.

Didn't like Mac so did not apply. Sask only recognized certain physics courses but Sask would be the last choice anyways b/c of the weather. Some school needed a degree. Was not a problem during med interview.

Guest CASTLECASCADE

WO! That's quite a different view from Kelly.

Most of the opinions that i have heard told me that "Pharmacy is a really tough course. Atleast much more difficult to score marks than a normal life science course like microbiology..."

Kelly, you say pharmacy is easier. Wow!

And just one more thing Kelly. Did he enough time to do some volunteering, extra curricular activities like sports while doing pharmacy? Any details regarding this will be very helpful.

Guest caliente

What is "easy" and what is "hard" probably depends very much on the individual in question. I have friends in life sciences at both Queen's and UofT who think their respective programs are quite easy (for them, obviously, lol).

• 4 weeks later...
Guest kellyl20

Plenty of time for volunteer, sports and student stuff.

But then they got 100% in calculus also and 2nd highest mark in Organic Chem. Even had time to do paid TA in math. Don't really know, maybe to some micro/cell biology is easier.

Guest slypimpdip

I've heard mixed things about students transferring from pharmacy over to medicine. I know a couple of people who have done it, and some who are preparing to do so. I have heard that the med adcom try to grill you on your intentions, when you transfer from pharmacy with questions as, "What made you change your mind?" and "Why did you take a professional position from another qualified applicant?" I'm not sure if it is correct, but i have heard that the U of A pharmacy adcom has a list of pharmacy students, with names crossed out with a note saying "transferred to med." Maybe that's just a rumor though!

So make sure you look at the long run before everything!

Archived