Premed 101 Forums

Hours of activity

That is tricky because you are likely putting dates from when you were 12 up until first year, so you would think that you would put in an average for those years...but I was told that they don't really care about stuff done not in University, so then I would expect to put in the hours you did while attending university. If you spent that much time on it, I assume it is a passion for you, so you want it to be represented correctly, so maybe drop the school an email to make sure.

For the "Hours" entry, are we suppose to enter the total hours that we have done for a particular activity or the hours per week as the OMSAS instructions say somewhere else?

If it is hours per week, then how do we just average our total hours by the number of weeks since we began volunteering for example?

I haven't volunteered every week so after averaging, it makes the hours per week seem really insignificant.

Instead, can we write down the hours per week during the week the we did volunteer for example?

Also, what about for something like a Mentorship program that I participated in. I met with my mentor 5 times throughout the past semester over lunch. I would like to put this activity down b/c I think its important. Should I say 1hour per week?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

For the "Hours" entry, are we suppose to enter the total hours that we have done for a particular activity or the hours per week as the OMSAS instructions say somewhere else?

If it is hours per week, then how do we just average our total hours by the number of weeks since we began volunteering for example?

I haven't volunteered every week so after averaging, it makes the hours per week seem really insignificant.

Instead, can we write down the hours per week during the week the we did volunteer for example?

Also, what about for something like a Mentorship program that I participated in. I met with my mentor 5 times throughout the past semester over lunch. I would like to put this activity down b/c I think its important. Should I say 1hour per week?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

When I was filling in the hours portion I would just list my hours the way I felt was most appropriate. Like you said, you can put 1 hr/wk, 15 hrs/mon, etc. I don't think they are going to put too much emphasis on how you listed your hours for an activity. However, on the long shot that they do contact a referee you don't want to blow something out of proportion so much so that your referee will refute it.

I hope this helps a bit.

That is tricky because you are likely putting dates from when you were 12 up until first year, so you would think that you would put in an average for those years...but I was told that they don't really care about stuff done not in University, so then I would expect to put in the hours you did while attending university. If you spent that much time on it, I assume it is a passion for you, so you want it to be represented correctly, so maybe drop the school an email to make sure.

Thanks, I did end up contacting admissions and they just said the hours I have done since university.

Archived