Premed 101 Forums

CARMs program selection

RuralDoc

Hi,

Has anyone else started their CARMs application for this year? I have been trying to figure out how to select programs but can't seem to. Any advice? I have been able to fill in all my personal info, electives, resume info etc., but can't figure out how I select my programs.

Also, does anyone know whether all of our personal letters can be seen by a program director or if only the one we want them to see can be.

Hi there,

We don't choose the programs to which we want to apply until later. A few weeks ago the unique program codes were listed on each program page but they have since been removed. No worries, they'll reappear in time for us to select them.

As for reference letters, you load your letter repository with all the letters you have amassed and then select different sub-sets of letters that you'd like to attribute to given programs. So the sub-sets of letters you select for each program is bespoke--created by you; thus the Program Directors receive access solely to the letters which you specify are for their program.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hey there,

Thanks for being so intrepid and following that up. It'll be nice to finally see some more stats on each of the programs, e.g., number of seats offered. The recently released publication from the Royal Bank, "Canadian Medical Residency Guide" offers some nice statistics from last year's CaRMS offerings, in the interim.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hi there,

I assume that you can contact the Royal Bank headquarters to snag a copy. Our copies seemed to miraculously in our mailboxes this week. (A gesture that was very mucha appreciated given the utility of this book.) The folks in the class below us organized this and mentioned that there were a limited number of these books published this year.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hi again,

Sounds like a good idea, but I'd get on that as soon as possible. I don't know how the class below us managed to snag all those copies, but apparently there were only 1500 published this year (it's quite a large book, i.e., 200 pages, so the production cost would be up there). You would have thought that the Royal Bank would have sent a stack to each school to cover at least the number of folks in the final year classes. Also, I'm not sure if the book was published in French, which could be a factor. The version that we received was in English.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Thanks for the tip Kirsteen - I went to pick my copy up at my local RBC bank today - I emailed my acct advisor and she left one for me at the desk so didn't even have to meet with her ;) Yay! Mine's in french - so they do make french copies. Though the stats in it are from 2005 (hmm last yr's version?) but some info is 2006. Weird ? but still find it's handy. A free book's a free book, no complaining.

Hihi NCV - lucky for me, no LOC :) AND FREE BOOK nonetheless... It's like i'm cheating the system...lol.

Archived