Premed 101 Forums

U of T CHM courses and McGill

daryn

I have asked them to clarify multiple times but they still haven't given me an answer.

I took this off their website:

Many successful applicants from the University of Toronto have CHM138 and 139, along with CHM 220 and another chemistry-related course —including Biochemistry— that has laboratory work (e.g. CHM 217, CHM 238, CHM 247, CHM 249, BCH 370, ...).

....so which ones are the REQUIRED courses?

Would 138+139 count as the general chem and 247 count as the orgo requirement?

TIA

• 2 weeks later...

Well for starters, I've never taken a course at UT, and I have no intentions of applying to McGill for meds, and hence know nothing about their admissions policy. However, I do know people who've taken chem courses at UT, one of whom is in the room with me as I type this message, and what I can tell you is this: Beware of CHM138, it's apparently "orgo" in content, but is considered a general chem course by many professional schools. And CHM247 is a half course, and apparently getting a full credit of orgo at UT is difficult unless your an orgo major. If McGill meds requires a full credit of orgo (I know McGill dents does), than CHM247 probably won't suffice.

Of all the people on these forums whom you expected to respond, I'm sure I would be the last. Oh, the irony. BTW, my friend who gave me this information to pass on to you says hi. I showed her all the posts I made to you and she felt really sorry for you.

Good luck with your app to McGill Meds Daryn,

Scarface

hahahahahah Scarface, please don't take it the wrong way; I have no reason to dislike you whatsoever. In fact, I have a lot more respect for you than say any other person because you believe in what you say, I think. That's something of value.

And thank your friend for me. Actually for med, Mcgill wants to see 1.0 FCE in general chem and 0.5 FCE in orgo. I just hope it works out well. As for the orgo requirement, many people (including me) do have 247 as orgo part II, but we lack a physical chem part II that includes a lab, which many schools (not Mcgill) need.

well to be exact, I don't know how many people viewed it but it was viewed 82 times. Now it's 144. It's right next to the box that shows how many replies you have.

139 is inorganic. 138 and 247 is orgo.

I think you just answered your own question!:)

• 2 weeks later...

I would think that 138 and 139 would not count for general chemistry. They say you need a minimum of a half course in introductory organic chemistry. That would be chem 138. They also require 1.0 credits in general chemistry. I'm not sure what they mean by "general chemistry" in UofT standards, but since they've already separated general chemistry from organic chemistry, I would not think that having 1.0 credits in organic chemistry would fulfill their requirements for general chemistry. I would e-mail them one more time stating the courses you've taken and seeing if you can get a clearer answer. But my advice would be to just take chem 220 over the summer or something, it may not seem too important when looking in Ontario but if you ever consider applying out of province or in the States, most schools will ask for a year of organic and a year of general chem.

CHM 138 and 139 cumulatively are considered a general chemistry credit.

CHM 138 and 247 cumulatively are considered an organic chemistry credit.

Whether you can hit two birds with one stone using CHM 138 for both requisites is a question I can't answer. Talk to each school individually.

Archived