Premed 101 Forums

Cartoons: Types of med students, choosing a residency

Howdy Y'all,

I recall seeing a cartoon that portrayed the different types of medical students (or maybe it was physicians, I can't remember) and another satire flow chart that helps you decide on a medical path to take by answering questions such as 'do you like people'.

Could anyone post these or link me to them?

Thanks!

OT6 I think I know what you are talking about, but I don't remember your name (sorry).

You two are actually two seperate entities, right? I just ask because you post your replies within 3 minutes of one another (slightly fishy).

e-stalker, not sure how I feel about being called that. But whatever!

Any more hints, because right now I don't have much to go on...a class list might be helpful (I might not know your names).

Time to get motivated to read some embryology...

Ha, you guys are cards!

Out of curiosity, how many of your classmates hooked up? I remember hearing about this sort of thing, and how its not necessarily the greatest idea, but it seems like no one in our class is getting together (though more than likely that they are and I just haven't noticed).

I think there's been somewhere around 4 class hookups during first year. Now if we were to count 0T6's random 'hookups', that's a whole different story. cuddle.gif

PS - what does 'cards' mean? I've never heard that phrase before.

Oh is OT6 not very discriminating with his random hook ups? :) I guess you can't be very discriminatory if they're random, can you?

Cards....hmm...not sure where that came from...I don't even know how to explain it. Thinking....(not working well having just spent many minutes working on our genetics assignment)...not sure if its a weird phrase used only by my family (we/I make up words). Sorry. I was just trying to say you guys are funny.

Oh is OT6 not very discriminating with his random hook ups? :) I guess you can't be very discriminatory if they're random, can you?

Cards....hmm...not sure where that came from...I don't even know how to explain it. Thinking....(not working well having just spent many minutes working on our genetics assignment)...not sure if its a weird phrase used only by my family (we/I make up words). Sorry. I was just trying to say you guys are funny.

0T6 likes to make a big deal about his hookups, as much like certain comet sightings, they don't occur very often.

No worries about the terms 'cards', I was just curious that's all :). I make up words/expressions all the times, especially while writing assignments. dunno.gif

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you a great example of a jealous random hook up. Comets eh? I do remember you mentioning seeing stars that night!

In terms of hookups that lasted more than a few days, yah there are 4 in our class, but there are a bunch more that didn't last (or weren't remembered too well the day after). Its kinda iffy just cause it can be awkward for 3 years if it doesn't work out. Some people compare dating within the class to incest :P That said, if it works, it's great.

And there are Meds10 hook ups I know of. You need to get urself in the loop ML! :P

OT6 Do tell! Who has hooked up? Chances are if I haven't noticed I don't know them. I guess I make a bad gossip. We can change that though :)

Are you saying Talon is jealous of your hook-up abilities? Or is Talon a hypocrite because he (?) is just as bad? I still haven't figured out who ya'll are. Yet, you know my initials, hmph. I think you need to introduce yourselves/get nametags/wear your supposed hats.

On a more serious/boring note, the reps from Shoppers were here the other day, what do we need to buy? I have a stethoscope, but should I get a reflex hammer, or is that silly? When will I need my own, or is it just for practice (assuming I can find a willing victim)?

OT6 Do tell! Who has hooked up? Chances are if I haven't noticed I don't know them. I guess I make a bad gossip. We can change that though :)

Are you saying Talon is jealous of your hook-up abilities? Or is Talon a hypocrite because he (?) is just as bad? I still haven't figured out who ya'll are. Yet, you know my initials, hmph. I think you need to introduce yourselves/get nametags/wear your supposed hats.

On a more serious/boring note, the reps from Shoppers were here the other day, what do we need to buy? I have a stethoscope, but should I get a reflex hammer, or is that silly? When will I need my own, or is it just for practice (assuming I can find a willing victim)?

I easily made it through first year with my old stethoscope and reflex hammer (Physical Therapy background). They have all the other items (cuffs, the crazy eye and ear looking device, etc) in the library that you can check out at you leisure. Normally at the start of PSD someone will go to the library and get the items you need and there's enough for each PSD group to have 2.

Okay Talon/OT6 or anyone else from UofO who wants to answer,

Do we have a week in the country? I thought I remembered hearing that we did, or was that from one of the other universities? If we do, how does it work?

OT6, you did the rural summer elective, right? Who did you organize that through? Did you have personal connections, or did you go contant SWOMEN or ROMP?

Thanks!

Howdy,

You should have week in the country during february or march I believe. If you look through the papers you got during O-Week there's a schedule of when the blocks starts and end, when reading week is, and also when your week in the country is scheduled. I wouldn't worry about it too much right now, there will be a day where you get a lecture on how you sign up for regions, select different medical areas, etc. They will basically do all the dirty work and try to find you a physician in the area you select to follow, find you accomodation, etc.

If you'd like to do a rural summer elective you can check out the ERMEP, NOMEC, etc websites and depending on the area you'd like to go to you'd select the appropriate website (ERMEP = Eastern Ontario, NOMEN = Northern Ontario, etc).

Hope this helps.... perhaps a moderator could move this thread to the Ottawa forum?

Archived