Premed 101 Forums

How can I find a research opportunity as a premed?

hp18

It is often more difficult to find a lab to work with through the school year than one to work for in the summer. Keep your eyes open from November-February as that is when most of the hospital and NSERC opportunitites become available. That's when you should be applying like crazy. One thing many people don't realize is that a lot of applications become available before Christmas and should be completed before the new year to have a good chance at a spot.

Otherwise, just keep emailing profs who do research in an area you're interested in, express your interest, and see who gets back to you. During the school year though, you're more likely to find something if you offer to volunteer in the lab...and often this may not be a very valuable lab experience (i.e. you end up doing their dishes rather than engaging in a research project).

Good luck!

Hi there,

If you're taking a course and you find one lecturer's material interesting, then if you have time, do an internet search to see if that's where their research interests lie. Then, when they next lecture, you can approach them during break of after class to tell them you interests and ask if there are any lab opportunities. I did this during a 3rd year UofT course and ended up managing to complete one of those 299Y full-year research projects that UofT offers.

Another possibility, if you're interested in clinical research, is to go over to the Dept. of Public Health Sciences Office on College and ask if there are any grad students or profs who are looking for help with any projects. There often are.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

You're not even really limited to your own university. You can contact profs from other universities about doing research in their lab. This may be especially relevant if you're at a smaller university that does not do as much research.

Also, when you apply for research positions, make sure that you do your research well (no pun intended). That is, don't just email a prof and say, "hey, can i do research in your lab?" If you've read what their research interests are and you can give some indication of what part of their research interests you, then you'll have a much better chance of getting the job. Profs like this because they feel that you're actually interested in what they're doing and took the time to get to know their stuff rather than simply firing out dozens of emails to a bunch of profs just so you can get "research experience" for med school. Even if they know you're an undergrad (especially in your junior years) and won't likely get a whole lot done over the few months in the summer, at least you'll be interested in learning something.

During my 2nd year, my Biochem prof. mentioned stuff about his research in class. I found it pretty interesting and decided to read more about it. About a week or so later I approached him telling him I wanted to work in his lab for the summer and he was pretty excited about that. However, I told him I had a pretty good chance at getting an NSERC (which I eventually did) and he was more than happy to take me on.

My theory is that a lot of professors/researchers feel a bit lonely and would love to take on students enthusiastic enough to approach them. Students think they are too stupid to work in the lab so they don't approach the professor. I am not saying you feel that way, but my theory is that an appreciable number do. If you, as the student, makes the first move, you never know where it will go. Some don't have the money and all they can say is no, and some do and are more than eager to take you on. It's just about taking the first step to go talk to the prof. Good luck in your searches.

• 5 years later...

I am a third year Plastic Surgery Resident and am offering a research internship position with the UBC division of Plastic Surgery's research program.

I am looking for a premed student who is interested in Plastic Surgery research and has experience with research protocol, ethics and writing.

Making contacts in the medical community and gaining insight into what is takes to be a surgeon will be invaluable experience as you come closer to starting your medical career.

The research is clinical in nature with intent to publish in respected Plastic Surgery journals. This position is academic, voluntary, and therefore there will be no financial compensation. If chosen, your responsibility will include literature reviews, ethics applications, data collection and scientific writing.

If interested, please send you curriculum vitae to sol@interchage.ubc.ca by 23:59, Oct 31, 2011

Archived